GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some Adam's products this weekend and with it received Adam's instructional DVD. In the video Adam is uses the Porta Cable buffer that most here talk about. Back in the day, I used a rotary polisher and thought that orbitals were mainly used for waxing, and rotary's for polishing. The porta cable was a "Dual Action" orbital.

My question is, what is the difference between the two? I know the mechanical difference, the rotary spinning 360 degree revolutions and the orbital vibrating and free spining in a circular motion. But which is better when using the "Swirl Haze" with the "orange" pad and the "Fine Polish" with the "white" pad? Any information at all regarding the above info would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, I mentioned that I purchased the Adam's products locally here in Phoenix AZ and wanted to HIGHLY reccomend the retailer.

The shop I went to is called Panache. The owner "Todd" is honestly one of the most down to earth guys I've ever met. The dude did nothing but go out of his way to not only hook me up with the polish and accessories, but also spent who knows how long schooling me on different methods. Keep in mind that he makes his money detailing vehicles, but didnt once metion me stepping aside so he could detail my truck rather than me doing it myself. He uses both the rotary and orbital but I never did ask the real difference and which is better for what. Anyway, if anyone here is in the phoenix area and needs detailing product or their vehicle detailed hit this dude up. He is also in the process of expanding his shop and going to do lifts and full auto customization. I am in no way affiliated with him or his business, just giving credit where credit is due and giving a good guy with a good business some free advertising.

WWW.PANACHEWASH.COM

·
GM Trucks & UA
1,635 Posts
I'll take a crack at this...

Since you know the mechanical difference, you understand that the PC is easier to use for the less experienced user. It's a bit 'safer' against burning the clear coat. The PC can typically take care fo the same swirls and blems that a rotary can, but is usually a bit more time consuming as it doesn't generate friction as quickly as the rotary, hence why the PC is easier for beginners to use, or for more gentle applications.

The rotary is to be used by a more skilled hand. The almost instant friction can make it very easy to burn a clear coat. While it can be easier to burn the clear, it is also significantly faster.

When I detail, I use a combination. If I need to remove swirls and belms from a huge vehicle like a Suburban, I go rotary. Smaller cars that don't require allot of correction, I'll use the PC, or in small areas where correction is needed. On black I ALWAYS use the PC, just because flaws reflect so much more on black, I like to take extra care...

Good luck

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll take a crack at this...

Since you know the mechanical difference, you understand that the PC is easier to use for the less experienced user. It's a bit 'safer' against burning the clear coat. The PC can typically take care fo the same swirls and blems that a rotary can, but is usually a bit more time consuming as it doesn't generate friction as quickly as the rotary, hence why the PC is easier for beginners to use, or for more gentle applications.

The rotary is to be used by a more skilled hand. The almost instant friction can make it very easy to burn a clear coat. While it can be easier to burn the clear, it is also significantly faster.

When I detail, I use a combination. If I need to remove swirls and belms from a huge vehicle like a Suburban, I go rotary. Smaller cars that don't require allot of correction, I'll use the PC, or in small areas where correction is needed. On black I ALWAYS use the PC, just because flaws reflect so much more on black, I like to take extra care...

Good luck

Thank you very much! That pretty much sums it up for me. Todd over at Panache uses the same method (uses both a PC and Rotary combo).

Given the fact that i have moderate buffing/polishing expierience and a white truck, do you think it would benefiet me to use the rotary for the most part? I dont know the tricks and shortcuts, but I can wheel the truck without burning through the clear/paint and typically can yeild a swirl/hologram free job. It just really confused me to see a professional using an orbital when I was always under the impression those were strictly used for applying wax.

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
When I feel lazy I usually use a rotary. Its much faster but you gotta know how to use it. Ive seen some people that cant even hold it while its on lol.

·
GM Trucks & UA
1,635 Posts
Thank you very much! That pretty much sums it up for me. Todd over at Panache uses the same method (uses both a PC and Rotary combo).

Given the fact that i have moderate buffing/polishing expierience and a white truck, do you think it would benefiet me to use the rotary for the most part? I dont know the tricks and shortcuts, but I can wheel the truck without burning through the clear/paint and typically can yeild a swirl/hologram free job. It just really confused me to see a professional using an orbital when I was always under the impression those were strictly used for applying wax.
If you feel comfy using the rotary, then yes, on your white truck you'll be fine. The Porter Cable (PC) dual action vs. the rotary, in an experienced hand, will yeild the same results, it's only the amount of time that's different. The PC with the right pads and compounds can cut enough to get the job done. Keep in mind the PC in not the same as a cheapo $12 orbital you get off the shelf in the Wally-Martinez car care section. Those things are useless :imo:

·
Masshole
5,276 Posts
I have both, but i like my porter cable. im selling my rotary if ud like it. i have basically new yellow, orange, and white CCS foam pads for it. plus the machine itself. PM me if interested.

·
Geresy Farms
1,292 Posts
I have both, but i like my porter cable. im selling my rotary if ud like it. i have basically new yellow, orange, and white CCS foam pads for it. plus the machine itself. PM me if interested.
Why you selling man?

And some good info in here.

I haven't touched my UDM or PC in a long time. I just feel I can achieve a better finish with the rotary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts