GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll,

i just got off the phone from griots garage and placed my order for my new detailing stuff, figured i'd see if i need anything else..

i ordered the random orbital with 4 pads (compounds/sealant), and 4 bonnets to remove the old compound/sealant, along with 1-3 compounds and a large bottle of paint sealant since some people said they swear its better than wax since it'll last longer. It also came with a dvd so i dont fck my paint up...which is a nice bonus since this will be the first time using a buffer.

Anything im missing?

Dave

·
Registered
370 Posts
Do you have a clay bar to remove rail dust, pollution, tar specks, and any other contamination on your paint?

A buffing compound will not work correctly with a random orbital. you need to create heat with a high speed buffer to actually remove scratches by smoothing the ridges of the scratch.

I would use a paint cleaner before taking a compound to your paint. A paint cleaner will remove any oxidation, fading, or contaminants the clay left behind and brighten the finish. Then i would follow up with a polish, then sealant. I dont use a bonnet on the orbital to remove wax because it is hard to get in all the little grooves and angles so you end up having to go back over it by hand anyway. Just get a couple microfibers and buff the products off by hand IMO.

If you want to read a little on some products and techniques go http://www.perfectautofinish.com

I used to detail with Gary, the owner, and I may actually buy his company from him in a few months. He sells the best products i have come across to date.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i have a claybar, and with the compounds, these compounds dont need heat to breakdown, im no chemist so im not sure how it works, but it does.

Do you have a suggestion for paint cleaner? and thanks for the site as well, i'll bookmark it and read it later tonight when i get off work...

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have had the best results using the one on that web page, but meguiers and mothers both make a pretty good paint cleaner you could pickup at autozone.

What "compounds" exactly did u buy that dont need a rotary buffer? How bad is the condition of your paint that you believe you need to take an aggressive compound to it? I dont think any compounds can actually remove scratchs without creating heat. A swirl remover on an orbital will hide a lot of imperfections but after one car wash they will be back.

__________ ___________
\ /
\ /
\/
this is what a scratch in your paint looks like from the side. the grit in a compund creates heat which rounds the edges on the top making the scratch less visable. If you dont create any heat all your doing is filling in the scratch and that will not last.

Edit: My little diagram didnt come out like i wanted, but do you know what i mean?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've got alot of swirls and surface scratches, truck is 7 years old so the paint isnt perfect, ive sent a PM to chris asking what compounds i need because my stepside bed has quite a bit of oxidation on it.

also, the 7424 is a random orbital as well and i know alot of people use them for detailing so i dont see where i went wrong buying a random orbital as well. I got the 1-3 polishes which are comparible to the poorboys...i'd rather try with some cheaper polishes first so im not wasting product or doing it incorrectly and losing alot of money on polishes.

this is just a starter kit basically, i'll probably contact chris in a couple of months and order the poorboys compounds since ive heardn so much good stuff from people who have used them.

Dave

·
Registered
370 Posts
i didnt mean to say that u made a mistake getting an orbital, they are great!! cuts application time down tons and i use it much more that my high speed. i meant to say that your not going to remove much more than light surface scratches with it though.

A swirl remover will remove swirls or very light scratches, but not scratches that have any depth to them. Thats all i was trying to get across to him.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the scratches that are deeper than surface, it's gonna be taken care of when ym truck gets a respray sometime in the next year or so, i just want my truck looking better than it does, lol.

So is a random going to remove a fairly heavy amount of oxidation from the stepside humps with the most aggressive compound?

·
Registered
370 Posts
it should, but its impossible to say for sure without seeing it. its definately going to make it look better though:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
the scratches that are deeper than surface, it's gonna be taken care of when ym truck gets a respray sometime in the next year or so, i just want my truck looking better than it does, lol.

So is a random going to remove a fairly heavy amount of oxidation from the stepside humps with the most aggressive compound?
You can definitely remove oxidation and the large majority of swirls/scratches w/ a random orbital and the correct pad/product combo. You didnt make a mistake by going w/ that tool, dont worry :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
.... i meant to say that your not going to remove much more than light surface scratches with it though.

I've been able to remove a lot more then light surface scratches with a D/A random orbital. Like Chris said the D/A with the right product/pad combo can remove the majority or imperfections in paint...it's just takes longer then it would with a rotary.

Here are some examples of oxidation and swirls/scratches I've removed with a D/A

Oxidation:

Before:

After:

Video demo:

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video/oxidation/

Swirls and scratches:

·
GM Trucks & UA
1,635 Posts
I have a rotary, PC DA, and a random orbital. They all have their purposes, but I find that the PC does good when you have the right product with the right pad, then let it do the work, patience and only applying the weight of the pc itself. I like how it breaks the ssr or exp down, you can see it working right infront of you, just gotta be patient...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts