GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as hand tools, im still trying to figure out how to organize everything so that im not CONSTANTLY looking for something. I'm going to buy some magnetic socket holders for my 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 Long and Short of both SAE and Metric, and those will sit in the top of my toolbox. The next row will have all my ratchets and extensions and my 3/8 and 1/2 Snap-On torque wrenches. Mostly everything I have is craftsman, but I have some occasional Snap-On stuff. From there I'll have two slide outs, 1 for all my standard, and 1 for all my metric open end/box end wrenches. Then there will be another slot for Miscellanous pliers and adjustable wrenches and stuff, and from there I haven't really figure out what I want. I haven't decided whether or not to put all screwdrivers in a slot, or if I should have them hanging on the wall. I just want everything to be organized, and also stay safe, if too much is out, the wrong person might be tempted to take them or something, just a thought. I like everything hidden out of place in it's own little 'Cubby' hole.

Long story short, I was just asking for some ideas for some organizing skills. Any pics would be awesome too, although maybe im the only one this anal about organization. :insane:

1,932 Posts
my suggestion would be to make sure that everything that looks orderly is also extremely practical to be taking in and out all the time. having your wrenches in a nice, tight little row in a drawer may look great but wouldn't be fun to find, use and replace any of them. my 2 cents.
:rocking:

·
Registered
192 Posts
i put all sockets/rachets in one drawer, handtools in another drawer, etc. my toolbox is pretty easy to navigate.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The trick to organizing IMO is that you can tell something is out of place or missing. I can tell you where any tool of mine is exactly because #1 they are always in the same place beacuse #2 I have diciplined myself in always putting them away where they belong.

I used thing particle board and screwed down the socket mounts to that. That way I can customized to how I want things setup and how many I have. Obviousl when looking for something or missing a tool.

Notice the missing half inch wrench. I bought the wrench oganizers from sears and cut them to the desired length.

I really like the hansen brand socket organizers too. I just prefer if there is an open spot there is a missing tool mentality.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I currently have a ball bearing rollaway, intermediate, and a top box with another intermediate on the way for the bench. I organize all of my ratchets, extensions, sockets, etc. by their perspective drive. All of my 1/2" stuff in one drawer, all of my 1/4" stuff in one drawer, etc. I also bought this little carry all plastic box that came with all my ratchets, sockets, etc. and the drawers were removable so I removed them from that box and placed the trays in my metal box for easy organization. That works like a charm because like others, I can see what is missing and am very anal about missing tools. As for plyers, dykes, cutters, etc., I put all of them in one drawer. I also put all my screwdrivers and phillips in one drawer. I have all of my air tools and accesories in another drawer and it goes on and on.

It's fairly simple to organize tools. Your best bet is to organize them the way you want and ALWAYS put them back where they belong. Oh yea, don't forget to clean the up before you put them away.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Buy a box that you will think you can never fill, cause if you buy a small box, it will be overflowing fast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts