GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tried tearin out the passenger (shortside) axle shaft on my '76 k5.. d44 axle.

i got the tire off, caliper, its ft-4wd so i pulled the chrome cap off, took a C-clip out and i pulled a "Gear" looking thing off with a spring behind it. I'v taken a lock-out hub apart before but never a FT-4wd..

Now inside tehre was another C-clip, then 2 of them silver nuts. I know them silver nuts have to come out and the C-clip does too, but the c-clip absolutly will not budge. I used a screwdriver, some needle nosed pliers, a pick.. all sorts of stuff.. it wont even turn no matter how hard i hit it. Is there a trick to it or what?

I know once i get 1 nut off theres a washer with pegs or holes in it that has to be lined up right, take the 2nd nut off and the caliper should slide out, then the axle shaft.

Another thing.. i coulda swore a d44 had the c-clip design? where you pull it off in the differential I cant believe just them 2 silver nuts hold that axle into place but i took the cover off and there is no clips in there to hold it in.

I dont really need a diagram, i have a mental picture and my haynes diagram had one too but how the hell do i get that clip out?
:bawl:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Are you talking about the big snap ring inside the hub that holds the lockout internals in? Or the small one on the end of the stub shaft?

The 2 silver nuts hold your hub on, the axles float, they don't have c-clips in the axle. Once you get the hub off, you have to unbolt the spindle from the knuckle then you can slide the axle assembly out.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm talking about the clip that is right on the outside of them 2 silver nuts. It will not budge. I'v taken an axleshaft out before, but never encountered this problem. It was on a lock out hub axle, but this one is fulltime 4x4.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Can you take a pic? I've never pulled apart a auto hub, only manuals but if I see what your trying to take off I could probably tell you how to get it off.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Yeah pics would help a ton. Your not talking about the lock washer behind teh first spindle nut right? Sounds to be like some sort of compression clip.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'll try but all i got for a camera is a poloroid one and the detail isnt that great

no DE, i know about the washer inbetween the 2 silver nuts its not that

1 - 7 of 7 Posts