GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*Updated, 13.97mpg and then 15.02mpg (post #15)

16.3mpg vs 14.3 mpg

In the middle of last month, Jan '07, I installed the outlaw power intake in the 5.3. I do my mileage every tank and I was getting ~15.9-16.5mpg during these cold months here in NH. I always warm the truck up and only use 4x4 in the snow. These past two tanks w/ the outlaw intake have been crap mileage. I haven't driven any differently, the mean/avg. amount of time the truck warms up or goes in 4x4 is dang near the same. The first tank was already down to about 7/8ths tank when I installed the outlaw intake, that came to be 14.82mpg. This last tank was at 14.31mpg.

Anyone else see this? I was really hopeing my mileage would go up, or at least stay the same.

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
there could be a lot of factors, its too hard to judge with the weather being like it is and shit IMO. And I know around here, middle of january it was like 30-40 and right now its 5 at most. I really wouldnt worry about it, I'd give it a few more tanks and see how it is. But my bet is the cold weather.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Computer needs time to relearn...and yeah 5* weather, so really like -15* with you at speed prolly doesn't help alot in cold weather.

Dave

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
id go with them. lol i put on my 36's and gained MPG, explain that. came from 33" boggers and got about 1.5 mpg. im at 6 now!

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
i put on my 36's and gained MPG, explain that.
Your speedo is incorrect, due to your larger tire diamter. This is causing your odometer to read a higher mileage than your actual mileage. You think you're getting better mileage, but you're probably getting worse.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
no its up by 1.5. with my tsls, i got about 195 miles on 42 gal. with it off, i get about 265 mi. its off by 1.2% speed wise, so i was told to multiply my miles by 12% and thats how much im off, so add that to the miles and wallah!

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Two tanks isn't conclusive to determine much. Could be some poor fuel you've had lately.

Have you reset the PCM though? Fuel trims are off somewhat.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two tanks isn't conclusive to determine much. Could be some poor fuel you've had lately.

Have you reset the PCM though? Fuel trims are off somewhat.
I disconnected the battery... thinking it would reset the pcm/ecu.?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yeah that usually resets it, or you can pull the fuse(s).

Intakes don't do much, usually more noise and a bit more pull from about 3k on up. Now if you had a larger motor, bigger cam, etc they help more

·
Registered
343 Posts
16.3mpg vs 14.3 mpg

In the middle of last month, Jan '07, I installed the outlaw power intake in the 5.3. I do my mileage every tank and I was getting ~15.9-16.5mpg during these cold months here in NH. I always warm the truck up and only use 4x4 in the snow. These past two tanks w/ the outlaw intake have been crap mileage. I haven't driven any differently, the mean/avg. amount of time the truck warms up or goes in 4x4 is dang near the same. The first tank was already down to about 7/8ths tank when I installed the outlaw intake, that came to be 14.82mpg. This last tank was at 14.31mpg.

Anyone else see this? I was really hopeing my mileage would go up, or at least stay the same.
I put one on my truck, but I haven't driven it enough yet to tell if the mileage went up or down. Was your filter oiled when you got it or not?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE!

The last two tanks were 13.97mpg and then 15.02mpg... It has been getting a little warmer, I suppose I'd attribute that to the increase in mileage.

Would anyone suggest a tune to bring the mileage back up?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts