GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a us cellular electrify m kicking around unused, so I decided to use it. I took the overhead console out which by the way is a good place for mice to make a nest. Don't ask me how I know. I drilled out the plastic welds to remove the cubby portion of the console. I have kydex laying around from making holsters and sheaths to use as a face. I carefully trimmed and sanded the shape so it fit nicely from the front side. Some super glue will hopefully hold it in place, waiting for that to dry now. Tomorrow I will make the cribwork to hold the phone into place. I think I will use the same anchor points the cubby used to support the phone.

I had the idea to use one of the light switches to supply power to the phone. Use one switch to turn on both lights and one switch to control the phone. I don't know what I want to do now. I like the idea of the phone coming off and on with the key too. I am going to do the aux input mod so I can stream music through the radio. I will use my current droid ultra as a hotspot to supply the data connection.

I am going to run the torque pro app, music, nav and whatever else through this new console. I hope it works OK. The screen could be to small to be practical, we will see. Pictures will be posted soon.

-Jason

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well crap, I have a Bose 6 disc changer with OnStar and steering wheel controls but no xm, so the xm mod is out. Does anyone have a link to a good plug and play unit?

-Jason

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Well crap, I have a Bose 6 disc changer with OnStar and steering wheel controls but no xm, so the xm mod is out. Does anyone have a link to a good plug and play unit?

-Jason
You can have your radio programmed for XM.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can have your radio programmed for XM.
The module isn't under the dash though.

I did a search and found the isimple isgm535 which will work good. Anyone have thoughts on it?

In the mean time I have a couple shots of the beginning phase of project overhead console.

-Jason

·
Registered
181 Posts
Fook yea! I love it!
Everyone of us has old phones laying all over the place. this is a awesome idea!

While your at it. led up those light buttons by drilling small 2mm (or smaller based on how bright you want them) holes in them and hot glue in a 3mm 12volt led into them. My plan is to use yellow Leds.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While your at it. led up those light buttons by drilling small 2mm (or smaller based on how bright you want them) holes in them and hot glue in a 3mm 12volt led into them. My plan is to use yellow Leds.
Great idea man

-Jason

·
Registered
181 Posts
if you drill 3mm hole and use flat top leds they will flush mount, but be bright..
Could resistor them to cut brightness.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sorry but i have to be that guy, what exactly is goin on here? Basically a touch screen that will let you change radio stations and what not? Or am I following this wrong? Looks pretty sweet whatever it is!
-Brad

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts
it looks nice, tiny screen so you'd have to adjust your focus to that, thus taking your eyes off the road almost completely.. if you did a usb connection, then it would charge whenever the truck is on and obviously steering wheel controls would help a lot as well

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It will work the same as a tablet in the dash. It will turn on when the key is on, be linked to the stereo via input so music and nav will be streamed through the truck speakers. Steering wheel controls will work too.

-Jason

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I squeaked out enough time to finish this project.

Here it is on the home screen.

Here it is playing google music

Maps will work well from here too.

Here is a list of everything I used to complete the project......

1. Old us cellular Motorola electrify m (fits perfect in the cubby space)

2. Small piece of kydex for the faceplate, glued in place.

3. Add a circuit fuse holder
10 Pack ADD-A-CIRCUIT BLADE STYLE ATM LOW PROFILE MINI FUSE HOLDER FUSE TAP https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LSTXTXC/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_ZMk.ub116E4FN

4. Isimple radio module for adding 3.5 mm jack for radio input
iSimple ISGM535 Automotive Dual Auxiliary Input Kit for Select GM Class II Radio Vehicles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064TBEMY/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_hOk.ub045B9FW

5. USB hardwire kit
EDO Tech® Ultra Compact 5V USB Direct Hardwire Adapter Kit for Appl... [ame]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I3P6QQG/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_3Pk.ub1M1VJA9[/ame]

6. 3.5 mm extension
iMBAPrice iMBA-PS-06MF 6-Feet Gold Plated 3.5mm Male to 3.5mm Female Extension Stereo Audio Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009UEBQIM/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_lRk.ub1EXYFT2

7. OBD2 Bluetooth adapter for use with torque
BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_qSk.ub1WT5FP3

Let me know if you want me to go into more detail.

-Jason

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
how do u turn it on/off?

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
so phone turns on when ur switched power source goes live? nice...my phone would just start charging

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is awesome! Looks great. I have been thinking about putting switches up there for a while now but haven't gotten around to it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts