GMC Truck Forum banner

P0449 EVAP Malfunction

39231 Views 16 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Covah
What the heck does that mean?? my dads truck 07 Silverado CLassic Crew cab 4.8 keeps throwin codes.. i clear them wit his diablo and they keep coming back up last nite i was rather tired and dont rememeber the other code is spit out but it was something like evap large leak detected.. anyhow any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanx in advance....... AnT
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Resident Guinea ***
53,075 Posts
Evaporative Emission Canister Vent
Solenoid Valve is stuck open. Inspect the wires and/or replace the solenoid.

Warranty? Should be, emmisions are good for 80K IIRC.

· Fake 4wd Club
6,008 Posts
Thats not true, you can get the Purge Vent Solenoid and Canister covered under the 80k warranty, i do it all the time, guess it depends on the service manager though

· Registered
20,237 Posts
My '06 just got this code today. Since brand new, it would click off when I would try to fill up. Put in 2 gallons then *click*, 1 more gallon *click*. Think vent tube may be fucked. Never looked into it. Cleared the code, which was stupid. Should have hi-hoed my way to the dealer.

· Registered
20,237 Posts
Back from the dealer. Is a TSB about it. Happens from dusty conditions and from people filling up and then topping off. It is bad for the valves. It is not a direct replacement. there's a redesign of it. GM P/N 19152349 is the kit. Also requires hose clamps. 20 minute install.

· Registered
20,237 Posts
How many miles on your truck? Mine has @ 40K. Also where in MD. I live in SoMD and the dealer told me it's not covered under warranty. Which dealer did you go to?
My '06 has 33k on it and I bought it in Dec. 2005, so I still have the bumper to bumper on it. ( they also odered a new driver's side mirror since mine shaked ). I only go to Sheehy in Upper Marlboro. Being past 36k, is why they denied you.

· Fullsize New Guy
82 Posts
My '06 has 33k on it and I bought it in Dec. 2005, so I still have the bumper to bumper on it. ( they also odered a new driver's side mirror since mine shaked ). I only go to Sheehy in Upper Marlboro. Being past 36k, is why they denied you.

That's what I thought too, but then I've heard from several people that the warranty goes to 80K on emissions stuff. BLKOH7 in this thread said the same thing. Just wondered if I was missing something. I live in Calvert so I went to Winegardner in Prince Frederick (which sucks) for what little crap I had till the warranties expired.

· Registered
20,237 Posts
Only some emissions components are covered for that long. Federal law includes all vehicles for 2 years, but GM's 3/36 trumps that. Only a few items are covered beyond that.

If you bought your truck new, it comes as a small manual along with the owner's manual and it shows all the items under the federal two year mandatory warranty, then outlines two more, seperate warranties. 7 years and 8 years, marked with * and **.

While some may and others may not, the vent valve is not in the class of warranty coverage. Some dealers will do "goodwill" claims.

· Fake 4wd Club
6,008 Posts
Back from the dealer. Is a TSB about it. Happens from dusty conditions and from people filling up and then topping off. It is bad for the valves. It is not a direct replacement. there's a redesign of it. GM P/N 19152349 is the kit. Also requires hose clamps. 20 minute install.
The valve is actually exactly the same but it comes with 15 feet of 1 inch hose to relocate the vent to the front of the vehicle along the frame rail to the top of the trans bellhousing.

The TSB your reffering to I believe is GM's exception to the 8yr/80k Warranty adding the Canister and Vent Solenoid and Valve to the list of covered emission components, but they will also good will warranty the stuff a lot of the time.

· Registered
20,237 Posts
Mine was done different. Nothing was moved any further up than the filler neck. I different filter is added outside the frame. Looks like one of those old camera film canisters. The TSB is for the replacement and redesign piece. Nothing has been added to the emmission warranties, except for one thing on the diesel engine.

· Fake 4wd Club
6,008 Posts
I guess its all up to the Service Manager, mine would warranty them no questions asked, had to do quite a few of them

· Registered
20,237 Posts
I guess its all up to the Service Manager, mine would warranty them no questions asked, had to do quite a few of them
Then you do have a great one to do that. Everyone at my dealership knows me and treats me real well and I have had nothing but great service from them. But, I am careful not to abuse their kindness. Whenever someone tells me that their dealer won't do something, I tell them to go to another one. The warranty is from GM, not the dealer. You can buy in New York and get warranty work done in Cali.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.