GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went through one of our old barns and found an old PA weatherproof speaker/siren looking thing. I was wondering if someone could explain to me the basics of how i would go about installing some sort of system where i could talk through the PA speaker, and possibly have a switch to flip on sometime when we go camping so i can listen to music through the PA speaker? Please help me figure out how to do this and what i may need to get. Thanks.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
They're not good to listen to music through at all. SOund like crap.

But you need some sort of amplification to be able to broadcast your voice through it. CB radio's have a PA function for this purpose. Or you can get a PA/Airhorn unit from Whelen, but its much more expensive.

To do the music, you'll need to run a switched speaker wire from your head unit to the speaker so that it can be turned on and off seperately. This is some kind of fad around here, all the 16-18 year olds are doing it.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Usually they're a plug and play :think: Get it power, ground, and have at it. I'll try and get some pics for you how I wired mine up. Make sure the speakers worth while or you wont hear it too well. I got a CB/PA w/ Speaker for 45 total on ebay. Been working great. Just picked up a 50w amp and I'm going to order another speaker soon too. Should be pretty fucking loud when it's done

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
They're not good to listen to music through at all. SOund like crap.

But you need some sort of amplification to be able to broadcast your voice through it. CB radio's have a PA function for this purpose. Or you can get a PA/Airhorn unit from Whelen, but its much more expensive.

To do the music, you'll need to run a switched speaker wire from your head unit to the speaker so that it can be turned on and off seperately. This is some kind of fad around here, all the 16-18 year olds are doing it.
Some have a jack in the side of the unit. I know I can plug an iPod into mine...it just sounds like complete shit.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Those horns aren't made for reproducing music.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
You can always add a different speaker onto it if you wanted to. Get's kinda pricey for a nice weather proof one though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts