GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
CENTEXOFFROAD
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fuck pacesetters

I spent 4 hours yesterday replacing the damn header gaskets because they were leaking. got it all bolted up and went right to the shower, I was tired and dirty, so I didn't want to fuck with it anymore. Well, I went to head to work this morning and I started the truck as usual and the leak is still there. I am guessing its blowing past a weld or something. I have only had these damn things for about 15K, I should not be having this much trouble with them. FUCK!!!

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Re: Fuck pacesetters

warped flange?

·
Registered
6,654 Posts

I've had mine on for 2 years and the guy I bought them before me had them on for 2 years before that. Just use the stock gaskets. I have a bolt broken off in the head on each side of my engine and I have no leaks.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts

I've had mine on for 2 years and the guy I bought them before me had them on for 2 years before that. Just use the stock gaskets. I have a bolt broken off in the head on each side of my engine and I have no leaks.
same here. bank 1 has a stud broken off at the very back and no leaks. use stock gaskets and you'll be ok. if yours arent in good shape get some from the dealer for like $10/ea I'm assuming. don't use the pacesetter paper gaskets

·
Registered
768 Posts

I used the stock gaskets on mine at 58k miles and no leaks at the flanges. I do get leaks on the band clamps on the ORY once in a while. I just tighten the bolts every oil change and its ok.

·
Registered
600 Posts

one thing missing he has a 97 obs my 97 had tri-ys they used to leak all the time PITA but my 01 havent checked the bolts since i put my pacecrappers on two years ago.

i think its got to do with the iron heads on the obs doesnt disapaite the heat as good as aluminum ones like on the newer trucks :imo

im going to go with josh on this im thinking warped header flange

·
CENTEXOFFROAD
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yeah, the nbs guys can use the stock gaskets, I tried on mine and they leaked, so I went with the graphite ones.

What made me think its a leak, I can hear it puffing from inside the truck. trust me, I know what an exhaust leak sounds like because old boss has a 98 z71 and has headers, and they start leaking all the time, so we replace the gaskets all the time, noise goes away for about 3-4 months and then its back.

·
CENTEXOFFROAD
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

one thing missing he has a 97 obs my 97 had tri-ys they used to leak all the time PITA but my 01 havent checked the bolts since i put my pacecrappers on two years ago.

i think its got to do with the iron heads on the obs doesnt disapaite the heat as good as aluminum ones like on the newer trucks :imo

im going to go with josh on this im thinking warped header flange
Don't tell me that, that shit is 3/8s thick, and I don't race my shit, how does this happen?

·
CENTEXOFFROAD
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Are you talking about the really thick aluminum ones from VatoZone?

·
Registered
9 Posts

My dad had the same problem with his pacesetters on his 97.Stock gaskets just wouldnt seal right.We ordered a set of copper gaskets from summit and installed them.Havent had a problem with the headers leaking for over a year now.

·
CENTEXOFFROAD
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

My dad had the same problem with his pacesetters on his 97.Stock gaskets just wouldnt seal right.We ordered a set of copper gaskets from summit and installed them.Havent had a problem with the headers leaking for over a year now.
I'm thinking of the ones at summit racing, maybe the copper ones will work too.

I've tried the copper ones, and you have to be really lucky to get them to seal the first time, I didn't get them to seal on my boss's truck with copper, and I am thinking now about going with a different set of headers, what brand do ya'll recommend?

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts

I've tried the copper ones, and you have to be really lucky to get them to seal the first time, I didn't get them to seal on my boss's truck with copper, and I am thinking now about going with a different set of headers, what brand do ya'll recommend?
when u tightened them, did you go from the middle out or in any pattern

·
Registered
3,278 Posts

You should be able to take them off and have someone straighten them out. I have heard of a few ways to do this. You might even be able to do it ourself with a long flat file.

·
CENTEXOFFROAD
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

when u tightened them, did you go from the middle out or in any pattern
center out.

You should be able to take them off and have someone straighten them out. I have heard of a few ways to do this. You might even be able to do it ourself with a long flat file.

I would just take it off, but the damn shop that welded up my exhaust and didn't put flanges on the headers, welded 2.5 in pipe to a 3 inch collector. Fucking jewish asshats.

Edit: oh and the leak is right in the center, which is a common problem spot for the SBC.

·
Registered
771 Posts

copper should be the easiest to seal.

·
┌∩┐(º_º)┌∩┐
363 Posts

fuck that gasket shit. Take the headers off one night, lay a nice 3/8" bead of copper RTV around the ports, and let that shit set up over night. Puth them back on in the morning, and don't worry about gasket leaks ever again. Ever. I've done this method on everything from cheap-shit BlackJack headers on my old pontiac to nice 3/8" thick flanged BBK headers on my 'stang, as well as on my circle track car (hell, i did this on cast iron manifolds and it worked bitchin' too), and not one has had an exhaust leak from the head flange with this method. Hell, if most turbo kits tell you to mount the turbo to the flange this way, why not?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts