GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just wondering if you had any input or product recommendations for caring for one of my vehicles painted in Hot Rod Flatz, which is a smooth surface satin black paint.

This is on a daily driver vehicle, so show quality is not the goal, but I want to protect it from salt in the winter. Looking for something easy to apply, but I just don't want streaks and swirls to show up on it.

It seemed like 90% of people I ask all just clean it with windex and leave it as is, which is what I've done for a few years now... But now that I've started to get more and more into the Adam's products and really like them for multiple vehicles and uses (even on my Honda HS snowblower!), it got me wondering if you had anything for my satin black?

Let me know what you think.
Thanks!

·
Vendor
892 Posts
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner -

Satin and matte finishes can be a real challenge to care for. Cleaning wise you want to avoid anything that has abrasives as they create 'shine' spots on the surface. You also have to avoid anything high in wax content as it can cause haze/blotches.

The windex thing actually does make a lot of sense - most glass cleaners will contain no wax, leave very little behind, and flash off quickly. We've been using our Waterless Wash and Glass Cleaner (both fit that description) for matte finishes on cars created by Lingenfelter for years now.

Soap wise, our car wash shampoo is wax free so you're fine there.

Protection its difficult... our Quick Sealant is about the only product currently in the lineup that I'd be confident recommending for this purpose.

Long story short, you are mostly on the right track with the wipe it down with glass cleaner and move on.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner -

Satin and matte finishes can be a real challenge to care for. Cleaning wise you want to avoid anything that has abrasives as they create 'shine' spots on the surface. You also have to avoid anything high in wax content as it can cause haze/blotches.

The windex thing actually does make a lot of sense - most glass cleaners will contain no wax, leave very little behind, and flash off quickly. We've been using our Waterless Wash and Glass Cleaner (both fit that description) for matte finishes on cars created by Lingenfelter for years now.

Soap wise, our car wash shampoo is wax free so you're fine there.

Protection its difficult... our Quick Sealant is about the only product currently in the lineup that I'd be confident recommending for this purpose.

Long story short, you are mostly on the right track with the wipe it down with glass cleaner and move on.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the input. I may pick up some of that then! I need some glass cleaner regardless, then I could always just give it a try. Same with the Quick Sealant.

Also, are you by chance the one I should contact regarding the GMFS Giveaway sweepstakes? I won the Adams Essential kit!
Haven't heard anything back about it, but I was wondering if by chance it hasn't shipped yet, if I could possibly tack on a few items I wanted separately to that and have them shipped together?

Please let me know.
Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts