GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2015 silverado and it's coming up on the time of year to go back in to the detail shop to have the truck re sprayed for the undercoat/rust proofing and have an interior detail done and have them detail the outside and respray the year round wax (diamond gloss). Every time i go in for something at my detail shop they usually try to push me to get their chip protection film installed. I turn it down because I don't see a need. 1 it's a pickup and while I want to take care of it as best as possible and want to avoid rust as much as I possibly can, it is going to go off road, it does have off-road tires, and I use it so naturally it does have and will get more chips. 2 With the chips that it does have, it has been through a couple full winters and I have seen no rust in the chips. If I ever did see any, I would immediately use a paint pen and scrub out the rust and fix it. I'm not going to inspect every square inch of the truck for this constantly but you know what I mean. My question is, do other people feel the same way about this or is it really a necessity if I don't want to have a rustbucket 10 years from now? I wash the truck usually every week and in the winter whenever it's warm. And like I said, if I saw a rusting paint chip it would get fixed. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You got some issues
I don't see what the issue is. For the past 2 years I've had these guys aggressively selling this film. I've not been a fan cuz I think it's ridiculous. I just wanted some information from others confirming it's pretty well useless or maybe information that would change my mind as some people I know live by this stuff. I think it's petty to care about paint chips. Especially with tires that are almost past the bodyline. And with newer vehicles that are a little more corrosion resistant than 10 years ago. I feel like in the detailing world my question is rather legitimate. If you're going to follow me around this forum and rag on every question I ask then you need to find something better to do with your life. Yes I care about my truck yes I baby it but yes I still use it as a truck. If that's an issue with you then quit reading my stuff

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How often do you get the truck undercoated?
I have a deal with the detailer that if you pay for the truck to get their rustproofing which is undercoating and inside door panels and rockers and whatnot when the truck is less than 3 years old and under 50k miles you get it redone every year for 50 bucks and as long as you do that the lifetime warranty any treated areas for rust. If it does rust they allow you to get 3 quotes from local body shops and pick where the rust gets repaired. It's also transferable owner to owner as long as you keep the paperwork

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Do ‘14 and newer trucks not have that textured paint protection on the lower rockers? I know my dads ‘16 does but haven’t looked that close at others.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Sounds like you answered your own question in the first chapter of this novel you wrote. You said paint chips don’t bother you so why are you confused on getting paint protection film?

Reactions: ferraiolo1

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jesus christ you must have money to throw away
Lol I do well but I believe it's well spent. 50 bucks a year isn't bad for rust protection. I spent 650 or something like that for the initial rust proofing but that's just for the first time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like you answered your own question in the first chapter of this novel you wrote. You said paint chips don’t bother you so why are you confused on getting paint protection film?
If it's just a chip no it's no big deal. If a few years down the road it's a quarter sized spot of surface rust like my 03 started to get yes it's an issue. Which is why I'm seeing if people believe it's necessary on the newer pickups. Ik the hood is an aluminum allow and the body panels are zinc coated but some detail shops say nothing is gonna stop corrosion of some sort in a northern indiana winter where there's more salt than snow.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THats when you get a chip you dab a bit of paint in it. They make chip repair kits. It then seals it off from the elements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea I got a repair pen. But I'm not gonna spend every other week scoping out the truck for little chips all over. Rockers, fenders, above the windshield, hood, etc. If I notice one that's bad or down on bare metal id fix it. Any chip i can find rn looks just down to primer. Been through the whole winter no rust in them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
THats when you get a chip you dab a bit of paint in it. They make chip repair kits. It then seals it off from the elements.
What I'm looking to do here is confirm my belief that this film is in other words a B.S. money pit that I'm not buying into.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If it’s clear film like a wrap then no it’s not bs.

So what's your reasoning for why its worth it. Btw it's not a full body wrap or anything. They just do select areas like hood, mirrors, fender tips, and rockers I believe.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts