GMC Truck Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
So what's your reasoning for why its worth it. Btw it's not a full body wrap or anything. They just do select areas like hood, mirrors, fender tips, and rockers I believe.
It's a layer of protection between your painted surfaces and what ever debris that might get thrown at it. It should prevent paint chips from ever occurring.

·
Super Moderator
5,818 Posts
It’s pretty self explanatory man. And you can apply it yourself. It’s just a clear wrap.

My buddy owns an exotic car driving company and he has all his front ends clear wrapped for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It's a layer of protection between your painted surfaces and what ever debris that might get thrown at it. It should prevent paint chips from ever occurring.
I know that much. What I'm getting at I guess is do the paint chips really matter. I'm not concerned about something I can touch up whenever I feel like I need to. But do you think rusting is going to be an issue with the chips. Chevy claims these vehicles are "the most corrosion resistant chevy trucks ever". Rust is what I'm trying to avoid. But it spikes my curiosity as to if it's going to be an issue as I just went through a whole winter with paint chips and no rust whatsoever in the chips.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I don’t see a lot of rust where I’m at but most northern trucks appear to get the worst rust from inside the rear fender just above the wheels. I’d focus more or keeping the areas clean that salt can get trapped in.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,408 Posts
In 14+ they started to do more for treated metals and the rockers should have rock guard paint its not thicker its a different paint that holds up better. The nbs rot from the inside out.
If it's just a chip no it's no big deal. If a few years down the road it's a quarter sized spot of surface rust like my 03 started to get yes it's an issue. Which is why I'm seeing if people believe it's necessary on the newer pickups. Ik the hood is an aluminum allow and the body panels are zinc coated but some detail shops say nothing is gonna stop corrosion of some sort in a northern indiana winter where there's more salt than snow.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I don’t see a lot of rust where I’m at but most northern trucks appear to get the worst rust from inside the rear fender just above the wheels. I’d focus more or keeping the areas clean that salt can get trapped in.
Yea I've got wheel well liners but undercoating is also under those in the wheel well. My dad has an 08 that's starting to rust above the wheel well so I'm definitely keeping those clean. I'm pretty confident but the undercoating i have though too. Thanks for the insight

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
In 14+ they started to do more for treated metals and the rockers should have rock guard paint its not thicker its a different paint that holds up better. The nbs rot from the inside out.
Yea if the hood truly is an aluminum alloy there's nothing to worry about there. My thoughts on the rest of the body panels are if you chip through clear coat, paint, primer, zinc, all the way down to bare metal it's not a rock chip it's a boulder chip.

·
professional grade
4,078 Posts
PPF.....paint protection film is awesome. Expensive.....yes, worth it.....yes. I just had a bird shit on my hood yesterday and it sat in the sun for a bit. I will now have to sand and polish the area because it turned the clear coat. If there was film on it, wouldn’t of happened.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Aluminum still corrodes. So chips on the hood are just as important

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It corrodes quite a bit differently though if I'm not mistaken. Seems like it would be easier to fix with some sanding and paint work if necessary. However I still haven't seen any form of corrosion with what I have.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
PPF.....paint protection film is awesome. Expensive.....yes, worth it.....yes. I just had a bird shit on my hood yesterday and it sat in the sun for a bit. I will now have to sand and polish the area because it turned the clear coat. If there was film on it, wouldn’t of happened.
I've had some issues similar to that too however that's what my diamond gloss stuff they put on does. Its protects the clear coat and paint from things like tree sap and so forth. That's why I get that done annualy too. The shop that does it for me claims you can dump diesel on it and it won't take it off. Not sure if I believe it and no way in hell will I every try and find out but the stuff works pretty well. It got done last year in September and if I wash it well it still looks like I just waxed it. Good stuff.

·
Super Moderator
5,512 Posts
I've got clear film on the bottom of mine from the body line down. You see that spot on the bottom front of drivers door, that's all in the film. I've had no paint left there in the past on my 2011 and 2004. The 11 started to surface rust. IMO it's well worth it and I wish I put some on box where the fenders bulge because that is chipped to shit now.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

21 - 32 of 32 Posts