GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided that I want to lose all the chrome on my truck and go to a mono color look. See my sig. I am going to remove the strips from the sides. I am also swaping my front bumper for a steel winch bumper the will be painted to match the truck. That leaves the chrome around the grill, the parking lights and the back of the mirrors. What do I need to do to paint those? Do I just take them off and sand them or can I buy unfinished ones and have them painted? BTW, I was planning on just going black on the mirror backs. Can you get them that way?

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
i don't believe they make a paintable front GMC bumper, u'd have to get it stripped, then prepped to be painted, or it will chip like crazy. I believe they do make a paintable grille shell for ur truck... or one just not in chrome.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Badassilverado said:
Word, you could get a W/T grille that could be sanded and painted, or have yours properly prepped. I bet you could find someone to trade mirror caps w/ you or you can buy ones already painted to match your truck. GM doesn't sell just the caps but Street Inspired Customs has them.
Is the W/T grille shaped the same as mine? I thought they were a different style. Don't the W/Ts have old style round headlights? What would the proper prep be it I decided to use mine? I've got to do the piece around the lower part of the lights as well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andy said:
Really? my moms 2002 lt suburban has painted caps
I think what he means is that while GM makes a black cap and probably a burgundy cap, that they don't sell them as individual parts. They would make you buy the whole damn mirror.

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
If you want some black, textured mirror caps...you can buy mine. They are coming off as soon as I get my painted ones come in (hopefully any day now). PM me if you are interested.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
I have a work truck grill. It is exactly the same as the other, just no chrome. Easily sanded and prepped for paint.

I've thought about painting it, but i'll likely just sell it for the right offer :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Y2KSierra said:
I have a work truck grill. It is exactly the same as the other, just no chrome. Easily sanded and prepped for paint.

I've thought about painting it, but i'll likely just sell it for the right offer :)
So does it have a texture that needs to be sanded down, or just a coat of paint that needs to be roughed up to accept a new top coat?

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
01Z71GMC said:
So does it have a texture that needs to be sanded down, or just a coat of paint that needs to be roughed up to accept a new top coat?
light texture

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Y2KSierra said:
light texture
Let me talk to my paint guy and see which one he would rather mess with. I am waiting on a set of flares I am going to have him spray at the same time. I'll PM ya but I might be a couple of weeks.

1buda, I'll let you know when I get them off. I'll try to be careful with them.

·
Registered
711 Posts
we just painted over my chrome. we sanded it with like 80 grit to give the paint something to grab. finished off really smooth, no chips because of the chrome, just the usual rock chips. we sanded and painted my mirror caps that way too. that is the way i'de go. it'll be cheaper and easier than buying the other grille and having to sand it smooth. just my $0.02

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
you can paint over the chrome if its prepped right. i did this on my 2002 on a few different items, and i didnt have problems with chipping. i would go get it done professionally and save yourself some headaches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts