GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Desert Rat
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who painted your 06, 07 classic grills. What steps/prep did you do? And how do you peel the chrome?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I haven't painted my 06 grill but I have painted a chrome grill before and I did not peel the chrome. I just sanded it down really good, then I used adhesion promoter by SEM. Finally I painted it with a gun but if the steps are done correctly, it can be done right with a can too.

·
Desert Rat
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what did you sand it with because ive tried to sand chrome before and it doesn't sand very well

·
Team White
2,532 Posts
When I had the 05 grille, I panted over the chrome but it would still chip a little when a good size rock hits it. When I did the 06, i took out the bowtie and there was a circle that I took a razor blade and started to pull up the chrome. The chrome is pretty thick but it worked to get it to bare plastic. What would make it is easier is if you grind off the little tabs off the back so the chrome part of the grille will come off, it would also make it easier to paint also.

·
Desert Rat
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I had the 05 grille, I painted over the chrome but it would still chip a little when a good size rock hits it. When I did the 06, i took out the bowtie and there was a circle that I took a razor blade and started to pull up the chrome. The chrome is pretty thick but it worked to get it to bare plastic. What would make it is easier is if you grind off the little tabs off the back so the chrome part of the grille will come off, it would also make it easier to paint also.
I was looking at those and was wondering if it is just the chrome that comes of or if a whole piece comes off and would make it look funny

OR you could buy a factory SS grill, they are painted/paintable. just throwing that out there.
Looked into that, they cost way to much from factory and could find any wrecked ones

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.