GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did everyone paint their bowtie on their grills? Did you just order a painted one or did you do it yourself? If it was done yourself, what steps were taken to make it look good? Also, on my truck would it look better as the same color as my paint or the billet look?

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
I painted my friend's bowtie. Just smoothed it out, put adhesion promotor on, and then put color/clear on. Turned out great.

·
Zombie Squad
1,244 Posts
not to whore the post but what else is required for the GMC because it has the almost plastic bubble type deal around it...

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Y2KSierra said:
I painted my friend's bowtie. Just smoothed it out, put adhesion promotor on, and then put color/clear on. Turned out great.
Werd. I painted Harley D's when he first got the 04 for him. It's black so that wasn't that hard to do. We did it with a rattle can.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just purchased a 2004 Dark Grey Metallic 1500, is there anyone who could paint my bowtie for me, or that knows of where I can get the paint for it?

·
Registered
167 Posts
RHPF
Ill paint it for you. but you can do it your self and same some money. but if your to lazy ill do it. its not that hard. just take it off, clean it, put a few coats of Dupli-color Adhesion Promoter, then color, then about 5 clear coats. i used a rattel can. (JUST MAKE SHURE YOU KEEP THE BOWTIE AWAY FROM DUST AND DIRT) let dry for about a day and put it back on your truck.

i got my paint from autozone.

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
Hey Ryan you can paint it yourself. Why not but a billet one off e-bay there cheap. :bowtie:

·
eplingphoto.com
550 Posts
AftermatH said:
not to whore the post but what else is required for the GMC because it has the almost plastic bubble type deal around it...

When I did my uncles I maskes off the whole grill and front end, and just sanded the hell out of the gmc letters then used adhesion promoter, primer, and painted and clear.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
you could always buy the faded bowties... they come painted with flames or iron crosses or what not on them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I saw them online for 40 bucks, I dont know how good/bad of a deal that is. But that way I would have my stock emblem if I ever needed to go back. Does that seem like a decent deal?

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
RHPF said:
I saw them online for 40 bucks, I dont know how good/bad of a deal that is. But that way I would have my stock emblem if I ever needed to go back. Does that seem like a decent deal?
The painted one for 40 bucks? That seems about right...but then again, I think that is a rip off. I saw some billet bow ties on ebay going for only $20. If you are worried about messing up your stock emblem...just buy another stock one off of ebay or something (I've seem GMC ones go for around $5). That way you can still paint it yourself (or at least take it somewhere local to have it painted). After my horrible experience with an online retailer sending me painted parts, I will have nothing more to deal with things I have to pay for before I see how well they are painted. Just my $0.02 though...

·
Registered
167 Posts
40 $ for a painted bowtie??? hell no that is a rip off. and a billet bow tie for 20 $ maybe. But i only spent around 15 $ and did it my self!!!!!!

how deep are your pockets?

you can also get on from a junkyard as a practice part. or if that one comes out good use it!!!!

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
If i did it on my truck and it turned out lookin good anyone can do it...its pretty easy, pull the bowtie, sand, spray adhesion promoter (i dind't even do that) spray a few coats of color on, let dry, spray a few coats of clear on, let dry, put back on the truck...i just bought some duplicolor, like $4 a bottle, and went at it...worth the $10 and lil bit of time i put into it.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
the 40 dollar one is has airbrushed designs on it. I'm prbly gonna get one, one day...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1buda said:
Hey Ryan you can paint it yourself. Why not but a billet one off e-bay there cheap. :bowtie:

I was wondering what would look better on my truck? Painted or billet. I just wanted a few opinions before I chose one.

·
Registered
167 Posts
PAINT IT!!!!

i think thereis to much chrome on the front w/ the billet. the part that the bow tie fits in is chrome and then more chrome.........i think it would be better painted.

just my $0.02

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
silverado_dude said:
I was wondering what would look better on my truck? Painted or billet. I just wanted a few opinions before I chose one.
I was thinking about color matching the whole grille after my billet grille insert gets installed.
Here's a picutre:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts