GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I used my hands and a black & decker palm sander. Ya I wished I had a DA sander. That sucked, but well worth it. :bowtie:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quiksilverz71 said:
I used my hands and a black & decker palm sander. Ya I wished I had a DA sander. That sucked, but well worth it. :bowtie:
Damn, I bet that took forever!!!

·
Handshake Drugs
310 Posts
what grit sand paper did yall use?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well I started on a dash today and I am starting with 220 then I am going to go back with 400, which i think is pretty much standard. I was told that you have to spray it with fiberglass but I am just going to sand it smooth then spray it..lol hope it works :insane:

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Z712K3 said:
Well I started on a dash today and I am starting with 220 then I am going to go back with 400, which i think is pretty much standard. I was told that you have to spray it with fiberglass but I am just going to sand it smooth then spray it..lol hope it works :insane:
That is what I did. I started with 220 and used 220 for a very long time. Used about a pack and a half of 3m paper (6 sheets maybe?) on my lower dash alone. After you do the 220 i would recommend going over everything with 320 before you move to 400. The scratches you think are not visable will show up through the paint if you don't. I did 220, 220 wet, 320, 320 wet, 400, 400 wet, and then 600, 600 wet. This got things pretty smooth. Since I didn't prime anything I used an adhesion promotor before I put the base coat down. The bullydog stuff WILL wrinkle up any remaining texture. I found that out the hard way. Then i had to go back over everything and remove that last little layer of whatever the pieces were coated in. After that I painted it like usual and it came out very well.

Hope this helps some!

·
Handshake Drugs
310 Posts
Thanx guys. I might get started on that this weekend if i can get some paint.

·
Handshake Drugs
310 Posts
Can I use the same on my front bumper? Or do I need to go a lil rougher?

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
brock said:
i have no fuckign idea what you guys are talkign about... what is wet sanding...? (im a noob) :bawl:
You'll notice alot of sandpaper you can buy says "wet or dry" on it. Wet sanding is just that, sanding on a wet surface. I keep the surface wet and also dip the paper in a glass of water from time to time.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Now that I have started this one I cant wait to finish so that I can do mine I really like the way it looks for such a cheap mod :head:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well I didnt think that it would take very long to do this but if you are going to do this make sure that you want to sand it all the way down becuz it has taken me forever and I am just now done with the 220 sanding :pow:

·
Registered
272 Posts
ok so why is using a palm sander bad as compared to using a DA sander? and where can i get an electric (not air powered) DA sander?

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Thanx Y2K, Im goin to use ur steps :worship: :head: I heard a DA can warp the plastic....... :read:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts