GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored. I had an hour to kill. I knocked it out in less than that. haha

I had some base and clear left over from other paint jobs I've done. So I used a 2010 Dodge Ram Brilliant Black and 2009 Porsche ruby red. I wasn't going to clear it. I loved how it look. My neighbor talked me into clearing it.. I wish I hadn't.. it looks so good flat! Here are the pictures.

Thoughts?
Cool?
Gay?

Stock engine cover (wiped down with prep)

Coat of brilliant black on the top and sides only. This black has pearl and tons of metallic in it.

Masked off some areas for the black and ready for red.

One coat of red..

All done. Flat. Looks amazing I think..

Top and some of the sides are black..

Here it is with clear.

after dinner I am going to paint the "Vortec" with the red paint with a brush. The swoosh around it white.

·
not low enough
8,703 Posts
good job.. and great maskin tape?

looks sick.. makes me wanna do it.. haha

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I had planned on doing this myself this weekend, gonna go white. Looks good, and better clear coated IMO.

·
not low enough
8,703 Posts
go paint more stuff... lol... paint the fusebox and shroud over grille in black..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I painted the engine cover on my 03 also, it took me a little longer though. I sanded all the texture out of it. It took a few hours but im pretty happy with it. Yours looks awesome though!

05262011597.jpg

·
not low enough
8,703 Posts
anyone thought of a trailblazer engine cover? the ss cover looks nice. the colorado 5.3 guys are using them. wonder if we could?

or the camaro cover

·
Cinque Minuti
664 Posts
that looks sick man, nice work...i want to do mine like this also
i sprayed it last year with engine enamel in a can but i just washed it with degreaser, didnt sand or clear...its holding up but doesnt look as nice as yours..do your fuse box also

heres a pic of what mine looks like

·
Formerly White_Stealth
861 Posts
anyone thought of a trailblazer engine cover? the ss cover looks nice. the colorado 5.3 guys are using them. wonder if we could?
I've had a TBSS engine cover on my Sierra for a few years now, doesn't fit the 4.8 intake quite right, and had to trim it a little bit for the alt. don't have any pics of it though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys..

I used a HVLP spray gun. I paint cars and stuff on the side so I used automotive grade paints and clear.

I thought about doing the fuse box and the air intake in red. But not sure if that would be 'over doing it'. Right now it looks pretty clean.. but it does almost look like it needs something else.. I may try the fuse box cover.. do that red.. and then intake top red..

I'd so do the Camaro covers if I could. Does anyone know if that will fit a 5.3 engine?!?!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I painted the engine cover on my 03 also, it took me a little longer though. I sanded all the texture out of it. It took a few hours but im pretty happy with it. Yours looks awesome though!

05262011597.jpg

Looks good! Sanding and filling that stuff with high build primer is work. I've done a few of those in my day.

Great job!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that looks sick man, nice work...i want to do mine like this also
i sprayed it last year with engine enamel in a can but i just washed it with degreaser, didnt sand or clear...its holding up but doesnt look as nice as yours..do your fuse box also

heres a pic of what mine looks like
I think I will do the fuse box. Wish I had asked the question WHO HAS PAINTED THERE ENGINE cover before I did mine.. I would have saved myself cleaning the gun 3 more times cause tomorrow I am going to do the fuse box cover! haha

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow, looks great. I think I'll have to paint mine after I pick up my truck...

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Been wanting to do mine just haven't decided on color combos. Yours came out great very professionaly done. The SS and camaro cover is a clever idea !

1 - 20 of 91 Posts