GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
GMFS Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if I've even seen an OBS with a painted rear before. I'm guessing they're pretty rare....or maybe I just don't open my eyes very much. I've priced a couple online for close to 250-300 plus about 100 worth of shipping. If anyone knows where I could get ahold of one for a more realistic price, that'd be awesome. hell, post some pics too, if you've got any.

btw, I'm tryin to put it on my '89 with an 95+ GMC front end w/ 4" teardrop smoothie, all colormatched....probly gonna be a metallic gunmetal sort of color....i dunno...still deciding.

I could just leave my chrome one on...but i'm thinkin its gonna look like ass, being the only thing chrome on the whole truck.

·
Registered
446 Posts
You already know i gotta picture whore it up.
DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0003-1.jpg

I actually picked up my bumper from a junkyard. I bet you could do similar or find someone with a work truck and trade them your chrome. Everybody loves the chrome. I painted mine myself in my garage with a single stage paint. I can't exactly remember what kind of paint though.

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
I got mine from CKresto... $300 shipped I think?

cleanliftedpics016.jpg

·
GMFS Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the pics.

awww shit, matt, that grey is just about the color i'm wanting to go with. Your truck looks sick. Any chance you remember how much you got yours for from the j-yard?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks for all the pics.

awww shit, matt, that grey is just about the color i'm wanting to go with. Your truck looks sick. Any chance you remember how much you got yours for from the j-yard?
I want to say i gave $60 or $70 cause i basically had to dig it out of a mud hole. It must have been buried there for years. It looked like shit when i got it but a good washing and some sanding got it ready for paint.

That grey is a factory color. My truck is technically a 99' classic style. The color is called storm grey metallic. I don't know the number off hand but i will check the glove box tommorrow for you. I appreciate the kind words. I fall back in love with it every day i go out to go to work in it.

Post some pics of yours for us.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
check a local crash replacement parts place that sells b umpers, etc :imo

several places here in town that sell them chrome or black (paintable)

·
GMFS Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think my main problem now would be trying to find one...lately around here there has been a shortage of fullsize gm trucks in the yards.

anywho, ask and ye shall receive...

This is what she looked like before I started.
2612-04small.gif

I drove it around pretty much all winter like this.
75small.gif

Basically, this is where she sits now. New grille and bumper are on...but still gotta swap the radiator core support for the correct mounting points...what a bitch.
DSC00981small.gif

The bed is currently sitting on some saw horses behind the truck halfway stripped and primed. Won't be much longer before I can finally take it into the shop to get sprayed. I've got so much other shit going on its taking way more time than I would have wanted.

edit: pictures work now

·
GMFS Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm swapping to the 95+ GMC grille and the mount points for the bumper filler that snaps to the bottom of the grille don't even exist on my current core support. I'd have to rig up some spacers and drill some holes...but personally I like to do it right, so I'm having to swap to the other core support.

·
GMFS Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmm, i never actually thought about sandblasting.....I've got a small one, you know, five gallon bucket of sand...hook it up to an air compressor...you think that would be strong enough to cut the chrome. Any helpful hints on the best procedures or anything....i'm lookin to save money any way I can.

·
73 Posts
Good luck finding a work truck bumper that's in good shape.
All the bumpers i've found on work trucks were all dented up. It seems like everyone with a work truck just backs them into things and doesnt even worry about it.

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Good luck finding a work truck bumper that's in good shape.
All the bumpers i've found on work trucks were all dented up. It seems like everyone with a work truck just backs them into things and doesnt even worry about it.
And you wonder why its called a work truck?

·
GMFS Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea, i was thinking the pickin's were gonna be slim finding a used w/t bumper...

Do yall know of anyone who has successfully blasted chrome off? I'm gonna do some research and look into it. If I don't have the proper equipment, my machine shop could probly get it done, if its possible.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts