GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
That does look very clean!! Did you sand at all? I've been thinking of doing that as well.

D

·
0 Posts
03Carbondogg said:
That does look very clean!! Did you sand at all? I've been thinking of doing that as well.
me too! Do tell the process........

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Looks good!

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Man I like that :head: Good job! That really cleans things up in there and sets it off from stock.

Like others have asked. What did you use and what were some of the steps involved?

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since so many asked, here goes. And yes, I removed the stickers 2 peeled up easily the last was 2 parts and the clear came off easy, the rest I got off with 3M adhesive remover. My stickers were all smeared anyways.

The radiator cover I didn't sand all the texture out this time, I plan to do it again in the future and get it real slick. However, I sanded the cover with some 220 wet with soapy water to clean it up and then let dry, then I primed it with duplicolor filler primer and let dry. I then wet sanded the primer with 320 and let dry again, primed once more and sanded with 400 till slick and let dry, sprayed it with Duplicolor Pewter Metallic. It feels pretty nice with just a little texture.

The fender braces were already smooth, I repeated the process above, 220 wet, let dry, prime, 320 wet, let dry, prime, 400 wet, let dry and paint.

Hope this helps .. I had bad luck with the Duplicolor primer this time, it dripped all over my hand as I sprayed, we had this happen before with some Duplicolor Clear ... the Paint sprayed fine though. :crazy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts