GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will the stock bumper cap hold paint? if prepped right.. the painter is sayin its not goin to..

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
It won't crack or chip if it's done right.

A good paint shop will remove the whole bumper, sand it down smooth, prep it, and use a heavy primer on it. They make a special primer for plastics and it melts right onto the plastic and it holds the paint really well.

Go to a couple of different shops, and get estimates and talk with the painters. Have them show you examples of work they've done. Have them show you around their shop.

And then choose which one you feel is best.

·
Registered
752 Posts
No one will warranty the painted plastic. I've have my rear bumper caps painted 4 times now. I would suggest NEVER going to "TALLEY CUSTOMS" in Clovis, Ca. The guy is a joke, and can't paint worth shit!!!!

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
I had my tailgate handle painted (similar texture) and the painter actually guaranteed it for 2 years, but did end up saying it won't last forever.

·
Registered
236 Posts
all the paint shops in new orleans just jacked up the price for the extra prep work that had to be done , it was worth it to me to just buy a smooth one and get the warranty on it

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
i do everythying myself, you wind up saving money in the end. i just sand, prime, sand some more, prime some more, and sand until its smooth enough for ya. My old truck had everything colormatched for 2 years with no problems, my new truck has been colormatched for 1 month with no problems so far :rocking:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts