GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting my dash painted and a few other things. Already painted the hood and the color is off......but Im also very picky. Its a friend doing it and he went by the paint code the 1st time around. Whats the best way to get my stupid 391E aka storm gray to match? I can go to finish masters and they use a camera to match the paint or they said they can use my vin #. That would be with Dupont. My hood was painted with Martin Senior aka Napa's paint. Not bad paint cause thats whats on my tailgate and rollpan. If I buy the dupont should I get dupont clear also or does it matter? I heard its one of the harder ones to match! I came out of the gym today and there was another truck the same color and you could tell mine had a more green tint to it compared to the other one LOL. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
88 Posts
the problem with the camera is that its not always accurate... tis a better solution than guessing, but i have had issues with it not picking the correct color... vindicating (using vin to pic the alternate) i used to use every time when i was a painter at the shop i used to work at... although it too sometimes picked incorrrectly. it also makes a difference if the vehicle has been painted before, and what they sprayed, blended, and so on... some times if you have enough experience with the colors you can just use your better judgement to pic which alternate to use, if you can see the different tints...

either way, using the camera and vindicator your buddy should be able to get you a color you'd be happy with....

i've panel painted my storm grey VVV and am happy with the match...

·
Flyin V Customs
1,782 Posts
that color is definitely one of the hardest to butt match IMO. my truck is steel grey. chevy's version of the color is greystone metallic. same paint code. greystone is a hell of alot darker. i've had one of the local paint stores try like 6 times to match mine when i was trying to paint my plastics when i first got the truck. they ended up having to send my gas door off to get a formula. it still wasn't a dead on match but fairly close.

about the only way to get stuff to match with this color is to blend. might as well have gotten a yellow truck.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya my buddy does air ride but with the economy bein' so slow his dad gotta paint booth so he's givin' deals so I cant pass it up LOL! Ya I prob will have to repaint the whole truck one day LOL......when I got my snuglid painted I sent it back 2 times with my gas door lol.

·
dieselz powerz
82 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Idk the guy that painted my bumper and mirros got really close if not exact. The guy that painted my tailgate and roll pan went off the picture scanner w.e it does and it came out lighter than the truck. It's barely noticable but I can see it. I would just go by the paint code.

·
My hero vvvvv
1,958 Posts
just blend it, we never have a color match problem going by the vin, then blending adjacent panels

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just blend it, we never have a color match problem going by the vin, then blending adjacent panels
kinda hard to blend a dash and fiberglass console lol.....the hoods already painted so f it LOL....

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Idk the guy that painted my bumper and mirros got really close if not exact. The guy that painted my tailgate and roll pan went off the picture scanner w.e it does and it came out lighter than the truck. It's barely noticable but I can see it. I would just go by the paint code.
Ya I tried to get the bodyshop thats going to paint my mirrors to sell me a quart and said he can't lol....

·
Registered
748 Posts
get a good painter that knows how to match lol.. AKA grimee.
or make sure they use a flop sample next to your truck to determine tint and shading.

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
kinda hard to blend a dash and fiberglass console lol.....the hoods already painted so f it LOL....
you wont be able to notice slight differences on interior pieces... but have your painter paint a sample and try to match it exactly.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
get a good painter that knows how to match lol.. AKA grimee.
or make sure they use a flop sample next to your truck to determine tint and shading.
ya grimee is outta the question......he's too busy.....my painter is a bodydrop king that knows paint.....u know this :crazy: he doesnt tint or shade.....come on seriously dont post just to post......:crazy: go pick up your mirrors already and call me.......i called a paint store and they said theres like 7 variances in my paint LOL......

·
GMC OWNER
97 Posts
you wont be able to notice slight differences on interior pieces... but have your painter paint a sample and try to match it exactly.
:word:silvers and greys are hard to match but run the vin to get the alternate and go with it. stick with one manufacturer (base/clear) and being on the interior butting up to exterior panels will not be and issue.

·
My hero vvvvv
1,958 Posts
all you need are the color chips to determine what variance, any REAL bodyshop would have these

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
all you need are the color chips to determine what variance, any REAL bodyshop would have these
bodyshops around here wont sell me a quart of my paint :crazy: on a side note dropped my mirrors off to get painted yesterday......there flops didnt match so he decided to take my gas door LOL :biggrin::crazy:

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just an update......I got my vin and the paint supply store can look up GM's color codes thru VIN #'s......so Im gunna try that!

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,649 Posts
Just an update......I got my vin and the paint supply store can look up GM's color codes thru VIN #'s......so Im gunna try that!
I can do that too, if you need

·
Registered
748 Posts
Still will be hard to match... i say try to use a flop sample. the best way is to blend it... IMO or heck repaint your whole truck.. you know you want to.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still will be hard to match... i say try to use a flop sample. the best way is to blend it... IMO or heck repaint your whole truck.. you know you want to.
I will repaint my whole truck eventually LOL......flop samples didnt even match when I got my mirrors painted LOL! Can't blend a dash Christy LMAO :crazy: or bumper cap or valence LOL.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts