GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Painting Black Plastic this week Update with Pics

Removed my bumper cap, lower valance and front fender flares tonight. I plan on getting them painted this week. I have a few choices

1. Pay the body shop to sand them smooth, lots of money. I could do it myself but things never work out for me.

2. Buy a smooth bumper cap for 150.00 and 2 smooth fender flares for 95(dually so I only have the fronts) and I still need to get them painted.

3. The body shop said they could treat the plastic and paint them black to match the truck, they would have a textured look. Has anyone see this before??

To save money went with option 3, glad I did turned out great bumper cover looks great.

2004-10-27_152755_side_shot.jpg

2004-10-27_152623_close_up_bumper_pad.jpg

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
They'll look much better sanded smooth and painted. I'm working on mine now, smoothing them out and then taking them to get painted.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Definately have them smoothed. It isn't worth painting them if they are still going to be textured.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Yeah #1 but you should sand it yourself and save that money. It's not hard at all to do. :imo

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
ryguy said:
what grit sand paper would you use to sand the bumper cap?
You could go as low as 80 if you wanted to but could use 120 then go to 220, 220 wet and then up to around 600, 600 wet. :imo I haven't done much exterior sanding of plastic but a lot of interior, can't be much diff! B-Cubed has done a lot of this though, he would know more about it too.

·
Registered
711 Posts
if your gonna lower your truck, i wouldn't worry about sanding the lower valance. it'll just end up getting scratched up. other than that i say #1

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Looks good, that's a nice dually ... I can't see any texture in them, they look pretty smooth and shiney .. black :rocking:

·
Send Money
344 Posts
your truck kicks ass :rocking:

·
Registered
724 Posts
What do you mean by "treat the plastic". It looks really good. How much did it cost ya. And where are you getting fender flares for that cheap?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cost me a 100 bucks, I had to remove the cover and lower valance. The painter said if I have any problems bring it back and they will fix it. I will call and check on what they used.

Truck runs 14.0 @ 96 in the 1/4 dyno at 454 and 963 lbs of torque

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
They probably washed it with a degreaser, sprayed some plastic adhesion promoter and flex agnent, and sprayed it with some kind of filler primer. I believe that does the job.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts