GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Watchu know about trucks?
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do those of you who have done this prefer? Which is more durable? I've used the Duplicolor brush on kit in the past as well as VHT on other vehicles. Duplicolor seemed pretty good, VHT didnt seem hold up to brake cleaner or wheel cleaners. I just wanted to see what others have done.

Thanks

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
I scuffed mine with 320 grit and cleaned off with some water. Let it dry and sprayed duplicolor caliper paint on there, 5 bucks a can. Looks like the day I sprayed and its been like that over a year. Just a few light coats, be sure to mask off surrounding areas.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Like he said but also don't spray paint if there is any wind at all. Trust me on that.

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
i used the brush on, no overspary risk. and i can recoat them as many times as i want. didn' t have to take off the calipers, just wheel and mask.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
I need to do this but im going to paint it black so they dont stand out when the sun hits them. They seem like a faded grey color.

·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm replacing my pads and rotors, so a little over spray on them or missed brush strokes wont be an issue. I also have six inch extended brake lines, so I can get the calipers well out of the wheel well if I have to.

I also figured if I have to, I could throw a tarp over the front of the Suburban as a make shift paint booth to keep the wind away and overspray to a minimum if I decide to go the spray can route.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Used some engine paint on my mustang and duplicolor brush on the stepside and my moms old mustang. Prefer the brush on. Don't have to take anything apart (wheel comes off obviously) minimal taping, and goes on easy. By the time I put 1 coat on all 4 the first was dry and ready for a second coat.

Both seem to hold up well, seems like the brush on stayed cleaner longer though. That could just be a difference in pads though. Either way a quick wipe and they are clean again.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
I agree, I used the brush on for my 2005, I put about 4 coats on mine. I like the way it kinda self levels or smooths out with no brush strokes.

·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I did my car, one kit of the brush on type did all four calipers. Would I need one or two on the Suburban for the front and rear?

·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you guys make me wanna do mine on this truck now :crazy:
I figured since I'm upgrading the brakes, might as well dress up the calipers too. And polish up the wheels while I'm at it.

Todays the week of projects for my Suburban. Today I'm going to finish up installing the 03+ center console.

·
I am Tom Slick
6,613 Posts
I want to do my calipers soon but can't decide if I should do red or make them blue, I saw a set of blue ones on an 08 vw r32 and they looked good with the red car

·
AKA Sugar Plum
2,023 Posts
i've done brush on many times and have had great luck with it. I put about 3 coats on and it looks great on my wife's tC after 3 years.

·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I picked up a brush on kit today on my lunch break. Will probably work on it this weekend if not sooner.

·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Red.

I know yellow makes it faster, but I like red.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts