GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got some new fiberglass fenders for my 03 silverado... and is it really worth it to take it to a bodyshop to get painted for like $400? or would sanding, crylon (spelled wrong probably) primer filler, crylon paint, and a few clears do the job?

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
brock said:
i got some new fiberglass fenders for my 03 silverado... and is it really worth it to take it to a bodyshop to get painted for like $400? or would sanding, crylon (spelled wrong probably) primer filler, crylon paint, and a few clears do the job?
Haha...I'm lazy, so I would probably want to take it somewhere to have it done...

With that being said, if you have a little time and effort...and a lot of dedication...I'm sure it can be done. I know a lot of members could chime in and give pointers on prep work / painting tips. Good luck :bowtie:

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
first off, HumanZoom, nice avatar.

BROCK, Do not paint it with krylon, yiour trucks brand new dude, why would you ruin it like that, if you wanna paint it yourself get an hvlp gun and get some paint.

on a brand neew truck i wouldnt waste my time, id have a shop do it for meh :read:

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
brock said:
Ok, first question is, why do you have fibergalss fenders? Your truck is stock right? Are you gonna lift it? If you are, I'd wait till I get ready to lift it and replace the fenders then, it will give you all sorts of room to do the lift ....

As for painting, you do not want to paint your fenders with Krylon, I did my rollpan with Duplicolor but it is a temporary fix and it will be painted right in the future. Have them painted before you put them on (shouldn't cost $400), it should be easier and cheaper, but when you put them on make sure to tape off the edges with masking tape to keep from chipping the paint.

Think of it this way, with your fenders off the truck, there's nothing for the shop to have to tape off, that will cost you a whole lot less. Depending on how good the fiberglass is, shouldn't be much bodywork. $400 seems way too steep, check around other shops ...like someone said, you have a new truck, don't skimp on the paint or it will stick out like a sore thumb.

Hope this helps, fill us in to your plans though.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
krylon is ghetto... I mean you bought the fenders, get em done right. That and krylon won't hold up over time. Auto paint and krylon are two totally different things... get it done right.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Yeah dude, you paid all that money for a brand new truck, all that money for new fenders, get it done right...no reason to skimp on a truck that new...

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bcubed said:
Ok, first question is, why do you have fibergalss fenders? Your truck is stock right? Are you gonna lift it? If you are, I'd wait till I get ready to lift it and replace the fenders then, it will give you all sorts of room to do the lift ....

As for painting, you do not want to paint your fenders with Krylon, I did my rollpan with Duplicolor but it is a temporary fix and it will be painted right in the future. Have them painted before you put them on (shouldn't cost $400), it should be easier and cheaper, but when you put them on make sure to tape off the edges with masking tape to keep from chipping the paint.

Think of it this way, with your fenders off the truck, there's nothing for the shop to have to tape off, that will cost you a whole lot less. Depending on how good the fiberglass is, shouldn't be much bodywork. $400 seems way too steep, check around other shops ...like someone said, you have a new truck, don't skimp on the paint or it will stick out like a sore thumb.

Hope this helps, fill us in to your plans though.
sorry, i mean duplicolor, not krylon... and yes, im goign to be running a long travel suspension (prerunner) so the fenders are necessary for the tires to tuck... and im getting the kit on the 16th... prolly installed by the 20th of this month...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
00Silverado said:
Just get them professionally painted :read:
:word: It will take lots of time and many tries to get it to come out with the dupli, and it still won't look nearly good as a professional paint job.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Duplicolor will look dull and hazy, even with thier "clear coat"

The paint will have no depth to it and you'll just end up getting it done again. $400 for two fenders is awful steep, i'd get some more estimates.

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
for sure ill keep you guys updated... what price would you guys think it would cost for paint on the fenders? and how hard would prep be? could a first timer do good prep so its cheaper?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Brock,

What brand fenders did you end up getting?

I would say def. get a proffessional to paint them, esp. since you have a new truck.

To put glass on a chevy takes alot of work, they will need to be installed and fitted before paint. The holes will need to be drilled and most glass will need to be shaved for it to all line up right.

Since you live out near me, the cheapest I found locally was around $4-500. That is with no prep work, just the glass being sprayed.

My suggestion if you still wanting a clean looking truck is to do ALL the prep work yourself and then take them in to get painted.

rj

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am running the same CST Kit with Kings on my 01 Sierra just got it done last week. I am having a buddy paint mine, but i need to fit them first, I dont know if i should put them on myself or have a shop do it. What kind of glass and how much flare are you running? Did you put them on yourself?

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
greyhd... where have you been? i havent seen your truck in front of sportschalet in a while, lol... i went with glassworks... im going to throw im some krylon until i can afford to get them painted, and when i do get them painted im goign to be doing all the prep myself.... fun..... my fenders are 4.5" flare and 3" rise... im going to install them when i install the kit... well, my installer is, lol...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Who is doing the work on your truck? How much did they charge for labor to install the fenders? What are you running in the rear?

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
brock said:
greyhd... where have you been? i havent seen your truck in front of sportschalet in a while, lol... i went with glassworks... im going to throw im some krylon until i can afford to get them painted, and when i do get them painted im goign to be doing all the prep myself.... fun..... my fenders are 4.5" flare and 3" rise... im going to install them when i install the kit... well, my installer is, lol...
At least use some Duplicolor over Krylon, it will match much better ...

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
me and ryall installed his FB fenders 2 years ago when we first built his truck. they were a BITCH :read: they didnt fit for shit, and had to be ground on. we all got that itchy FB inbedded in our skin. it took a good part of a weekend. looking back, and ryall will tell you this too, it is easier to just write a check and be done.
he rolled around for a year with his fenders white, and the rest of the truck maroon. people went :think: he finally painted them last summer, and got some dents fixed on his rear lower panels. all of that cost like 300-400 total i think. it did take them 2 or 3 times to get those fenders right, from what i have been told, they were a bitch to prep, and a bitch to spray. if you dont want to pay to paint them, just leave them white. :rocking:

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my buddy teague is putting on my kit and fenders... install is going to be $600... my rear is going to be stock for a few months until i can put some bypasses on with a bedcage... and i think i might keep my fenders white for a while and give my truck the nickname "the panda".. lol adam... i am doing it right the first time with the long travel susp.... its just going to take a while to get everything else done... this effing susp. is whiping me out, lol... and ya, i have heard the fiberglass fenders are a bitch to install... luckily my buddy teague had installed many kits and fenders before... thank god... lol i think a week or 2 until i get my kit on.... not posotive.... stay tunes...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts