GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
sparkplugsareforpussies.
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on blacking the truck out, looking at painting my offroad light covers black. I don't have much experience painting, but I figured this would be a small, relatively easy place to start. I'm just concerned about the paint chipping and peeling. The cover needs to flex just enough to pop on and off, not much but I assume this will affect what paint I will want to use? Also the face of the cover isn't smooth. The black writing and designs are raised a little bit. I am thinking of either just scuffing the whole thing with a 3m scotch brite pad, or taking a belt sander to the face of the covers until they are smooth, then sanding the rest of the cover and painting. Which would be best? I'm also thinking a few coats of black, then a couple coats of clear to try and protect them from rock chips etc. Any advice would be great

·
HighTek *******
806 Posts
I had the same lights, scuffed them up a bit. Then painted them with black krylon fusion. Looked pretty good! Just a warning, I had the black housings, they rusted out bad.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i would use some duplicolor fabric paint or bumper paint. it has a flex agent in it that keeps the paint from cracking when flexed. i used some bumper paint on the handguards of my snowmobile, and it's held up great so far.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Dont use a belt sander. Youll ruin them lol. Be sure to use an adhesion promoter to help the paint stick. If you use bulldog you put a little in the paint to make it flex better also. If you dont rattle can it.

·
sparkplugsareforpussies.
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the same lights, scuffed them up a bit. Then painted them with black krylon fusion. Looked pretty good! Just a warning, I had the black housings, they rusted out bad.
You have any pics? And I know about the rusty housings.. I picked up a can of flat black 99 cent spray paint from walmart, I've touched them up with it and you can't even tell I did.

·
sparkplugsareforpussies.
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys. I think ill just try scuffing them and using the krylon fusion paint. I just picked up a spare cover online for 5 bucks and some change, so if I want to redo them ill only be out 20 bucks to try again

·
HighTek *******
806 Posts
ill see if i can find pictures...they aren't on the truck any more. I might have them sitting in the toolbox still.

·
HighTek *******
806 Posts
Here are the only ones i have of them, I didnt sand the letters down, but they looked good like that.
SSPX0191.jpg

SSPX0247.jpg

·
sparkplugsareforpussies.
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah man those look good! Thanks for the pics. So you just scuffed them up the way they were and painted them?

·
HighTek *******
806 Posts
Yeah man those look good! Thanks for the pics. So you just scuffed them up the way they were and painted them?
yep, scotch brite pad and krylon fusion. get to work! post pics when done!

·
sparkplugsareforpussies.
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm at school, wont be home till the weekend but I'll try to get it done over the weekend. Def have pics when its done.

·
sparkplugsareforpussies.
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got them painted, theyre hanging up out in my garage now to dry, might put a couple more coats on in about an hour, depending how they look. Here's a couple of them hanging up :)

100_1112.jpg

·
HighTek *******
806 Posts
look way better! i just found mine in my toolbox yesterday. They are hardly chipped up after riding in the box for almost a year now. If i still had them lights on the truck i would put the covers back on!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Truck looks great Adam, did I see you on Hogan Rd. the other day?

·
sparkplugsareforpussies.
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks man. You might have. I was up in bangor last friday night/saturday morning. Hogan road is by walmart right??

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Thanks man. You might have. I was up in bangor last friday night/saturday morning. Hogan road is by walmart right??
Correct.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
then yeah you probably saw me. Did you have the truck in your sig ?
Yeah, I did. I'm starting to think it wasn't you though, I seem to recall the truck I saw had a cowl hood. How's Castine treating you? I need to make it back down there, I hear The Reef got a makeover.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts