GMC Truck Forum banner

Painting light covers...

2K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Wyatt_VMax 
#1 ·
I'm working on blacking the truck out, looking at painting my offroad light covers black. I don't have much experience painting, but I figured this would be a small, relatively easy place to start. I'm just concerned about the paint chipping and peeling. The cover needs to flex just enough to pop on and off, not much but I assume this will affect what paint I will want to use? Also the face of the cover isn't smooth. The black writing and designs are raised a little bit. I am thinking of either just scuffing the whole thing with a 3m scotch brite pad, or taking a belt sander to the face of the covers until they are smooth, then sanding the rest of the cover and painting. Which would be best? I'm also thinking a few coats of black, then a couple coats of clear to try and protect them from rock chips etc. Any advice would be great

#3 ·
I had the same lights, scuffed them up a bit. Then painted them with black krylon fusion. Looked pretty good! Just a warning, I had the black housings, they rusted out bad.

#4 ·
i would use some duplicolor fabric paint or bumper paint. it has a flex agent in it that keeps the paint from cracking when flexed. i used some bumper paint on the handguards of my snowmobile, and it's held up great so far.

#6 ·
I had the same lights, scuffed them up a bit. Then painted them with black krylon fusion. Looked pretty good! Just a warning, I had the black housings, they rusted out bad.
You have any pics? And I know about the rusty housings.. I picked up a can of flat black 99 cent spray paint from walmart, I've touched them up with it and you can't even tell I did.

#8 ·
ill see if i can find pictures...they aren't on the truck any more. I might have them sitting in the toolbox still.

#9 ·
Here are the only ones i have of them, I didnt sand the letters down, but they looked good like that.

#14 ·
look way better! i just found mine in my toolbox yesterday. They are hardly chipped up after riding in the box for almost a year now. If i still had them lights on the truck i would put the covers back on!

#20 ·
then yeah you probably saw me. Did you have the truck in your sig ?
Yeah, I did. I'm starting to think it wasn't you though, I seem to recall the truck I saw had a cowl hood. How's Castine treating you? I need to make it back down there, I hear The Reef got a makeover.

#24 ·
Thanks man. I want to either clear the headlights or paint them black, just not sure if I trust myself to cut them open and seal them back up.
I was a little nervous too when I did mine- but I haven't had any issues with them. Just follow the sticky on it- I even cut mine back open to put in my projectors and sealed them a 2nd time- no problems.

The key is to just take your time and get quality sealer..honestly when you are done you will sit back and say 'wow, that was pretty easy..'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.