GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have done this? I just had my 02 silverado completely repainted, and they didn't want to paint the mirrors (around the stock chrome) or the top of my bumper. They said that if you paint that plastic (even with sanding, bondo, etc) that it would start chipping after a month or two.

I know I have seen people do this, so should I still have it done? Anyone have any problems with chipping or cracking?

Thanks,
Justin

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
they are prolly just lazy and dont want to go through the steps it takes to paint plastic right.i have painted most of the plastic on the outside of my truck ( havent done the HD stuff yet though). you have to get ALL the texture off, well you dont HAVE to, but it will help the paint stick. then i primered, and wetsanded, then primered. then i used a sealer with a plastic adhesion promoter. then base/clear. i have had no problems and have been painted for a year. i have a friend that owns a body shop. his painter is my buddy too, that helps.

D

·
0 Posts
mine's painted over: (had it painted going on 3 months now w/o chipping)
38689663.gif

38689652.gif

38529465.gif

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good thing Adam cause they were about to paint it but you can tell they have never done it before.. or maybe they just didn't want to go through all the trouble.

Lowred, I wish I knew what (and how to do) all those steps are.. if that damned autobody teacher wouldn't have quit back in 11th grade I might have known more :bawl:

Btw, nice truck deton8ted.. LOVE THOSE MIRRORS!!! AHH must find bodyshop now!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yup, they were just being lazy. I got my mirrors, tailgate cap, wiper cowl, and air damn painted. The only small problem was on the air damn. I guess some rocks must have it.

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
if you don't want to spend all the time with the sanding, just hit it realy good with 100 grit, then use a body filler really lightly to fill it up...then use the filler primer til it stops sinking into the body filler. Then do the wetsanding then regular sanding, then base/clear/buff/wax all that good stuff. I've done many pieces. No chipping

·
Banned
580 Posts
how much would it cost to get my rear bumper plastic, front bumper cap, lower air valance and mirror plastic painted? also considering tailgate handle besel if i dont buy one already painted. oh ya what about the bed caps too?

·
Registered
716 Posts
93GMC said:
how much would it cost to get my rear bumper plastic, front bumper cap, lower air valance and mirror plastic painted? also considering tailgate handle besel if i dont buy one already painted. oh ya what about the bed caps too?
I paid $630 for:
shaved tailgate and relocated stock handle
painted door handles
" " lower valance
" " wiper cowl
" " mirrors around chrome cap
" " tailgate cap
and also fixed a dent that I had on my front right fender and another that was on the back left quarter panel.

If anyone is interested in body work let me know and I can get you a good deal on what ever needs to be done to your truck.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
sierraon22s said:
I paid $630 for:
shaved tailgate and relocated stock handle
painted door handles
" " lower valance
" " wiper cowl
" " mirrors around chrome cap
" " tailgate cap
and also fixed a dent that I had on my front right fender and another that was on the back left quarter panel.

If anyone is interested in body work let me know and I can get you a good deal on what ever needs to be done to your truck.
damn thats cheap. I "paid" 300 for my tailgate alone. Did you include the cost of the relocator? The reason why i said "paid" is b/c i just used insurance money to pay for it.

I need to get my front end painted badly. I'd get it painted by Merzees, but he said it'd be like 300 for the entire front end.

·
Registered
716 Posts
2k1slvrdo said:
damn thats cheap. I "paid" 300 for my tailgate alone. Did you include the cost of the relocator? The reason why i said "paid" is b/c i just used insurance money to pay for it.

I need to get my front end painted badly. I'd get it painted by Merzees, but he said it'd be like 300 for the entire front end.
No, I didnt include the relocator cuz I didnt use one, I still have the stock handle. I can try to get u a better deal if your willing to drive to La Puente. What exactly do u need painted? Bumper, bumper cap, lower valance, grille shell. Did I miss anything? Or do u want the hood and fenders as well? Im going tomorrow to the shop to smoke my third brake light so I can ask how much he'll charge.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
damn that IS really cheap... only thing is I would probably rather just pay $300 than drive a few hours and wait for it to be done.

Lucky fucker for getting all that shit done so cheap :evillol:

·
Registered
716 Posts
yoskater said:
Lucky fucker for getting all that shit done so cheap :evillol:
Did I mention that I didnt pay anything out of my pocket. :cheers:
Last March a lady hit my truck while I was parked at work. Actually she only "hit" my tire but I told her that she fucked up my rim and tire along w/ the front bumper. Her insurance ended up giving me $1200 for the "damage". Thats how I got all my body work done. I bought a hypertech programmer and other stuff w/ the money that was left over.

D

·
0 Posts
I got all my black plastic pieces painted with the exception of the steps and wiper cowl for $220.00 :naughty:

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
sierraon22s said:
Did I mention that I didnt pay anything out of my pocket. :cheers:
Last March a lady hit my truck while I was parked at work. Actually she only "hit" my tire but I told her that she fucked up my rim and tire along w/ the front bumper. Her insurance ended up giving me $1200 for the "damage". Thats how I got all my body work done. I bought a hypertech programmer and other stuff w/ the money that was left over.
thats how everything was paid for on the outside of my truck. Rear ended= roll pan. Some woman hit the side of my truck and took out both driver's side doors, so i got escalade handles and my tailgate shaved :rocking:

i just want my shell painted, upper cap, and the lower cap, and maybe the mirrors.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would be really interested if someone did a step by step on how to paint plastic parts. I think I might just go get an extra plastic piece and start practicing. Can anyone give me a punch list on what to buy in order to paint?

·
Registered
716 Posts
2k1slvrdo said:
i just want my shell painted, upper cap, and the lower cap, and maybe the mirrors.
You were gonna pay $300 to paint that at the other shop? (not being sarcastic, just want to know what they were gonna paint) I'll ask today for a price and i'll let u know later.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
sierraon22s said:
You were gonna pay $300 to paint that at the other shop? (not being sarcastic, just want to know what they were gonna paint) I'll ask today for a price and i'll let u know later.
yea... most of it was in the prep time i guess. Merzees did my dash and it came out beautiful. I guess, i don't really care how my bumper or grille shell comes out, b/c i'm not always in contact with them.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
King Z71 said:
I would be really interested if someone did a step by step on how to paint plastic parts. I think I might just go get an extra plastic piece and start practicing. Can anyone give me a punch list on what to buy in order to paint?
you have to get ALL the texture off, well you dont HAVE to, but it will help the paint stick. then i primered, and wetsanded, then primered. then i used a sealer with a plastic adhesion promoter. then base/clear. i have had no problems

that is a quote from my other post.. it gives you a BASIC idea... you will need to buy some 220 grit sand paper, some 400 grit, all the way up prolly to 600 or 800.. everyone has theyre own technique with sand paper, so its hard to tell you what YOU will need. then some primer, filler primer is good, then some base and clear. i used a sanding block as well.

then the stuff i had painted in the booth... i sanded it all and took it to the guy that painted it for me.. i was with him in the booth the whole time, but he warned me that most painters will not paint stuff with rattle can primer. so i let him do it. he also saw a few spots that i missed while prepping. this stuff turned out alot better than any rattle can job...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts