GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm tired of polishing my billet grill after winter every year, so i'm wanting to paint it gloss black. what are you guys doing for prep and what kind of paint are you using? or would i be better off getting it powder coated?

·
Blown Big Block
980 Posts
I did the one in my tahoe before winter last year and it still looks the same now...no rock chips at all. I just sanded it down with some 400, then used etching primer followed by a sandable filler primer, sanded that up to 800 grit, then started with my base color and did multiple light coats with about a 15min. glash time, once done I shot it with clear..did aabout 5 coats. Being that the billet bars are so small in width I didn't see the need to wet sand and buff.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the one in my tahoe before winter last year and it still looks the same now...no rock chips at all. I just sanded it down with some 400, then used etching primer followed by a sandable filler primer, sanded that up to 800 grit, then started with my base color and did multiple light coats with about a 15min. glash time, once done I shot it with clear..did aabout 5 coats. Being that the billet bars are so small in width I didn't see the need to wet sand and buff.
what did you use for paint, spray cans or did you shoot it out of a gun?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.