GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about painting some dash and door panel pieces in my truck. I just wanted to know if this is hard to do because I have never painted anything before like this and if I could do it, where and how much is the paint for the project? Also, when you mention "wet sanding", is that just sanding the piece with a little water applied to it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
272 Posts
To give you an idea.. i started painting some pieces on Monday afternoon.. I just got them put on last night. I took my time, and had to redo a few pieces. Its a very long process to do it right.. You need to use an adhesion promotor, a primer, the paint, then clear.. Between each step you must sand, not including all the sanding you have to do from the start to make the piece's smooth. I seriously have 10-18 hours of work on these. Im very happy with the way they turned out, and im glad i didnt pay a body shop to do it.

James

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it sounds like it is very time consuming, something I dont have a whole lot of really. How much is all the paint, primer, and promoter and where do you get it? And what does it compare to in price from doing it yourself and letting someone else do it professionally? I'm kinda wanting to paint the dash bezel, the pieces around the a/c vents and a couple pieces off the door panel in a silver metallic color to kinda go w/ the color of my pioneer cd player. Thanks again in advance.

·
Registered
272 Posts
silverado_dude said:
Well, it sounds like it is very time consuming, something I dont have a whole lot of really. How much is all the paint, primer, and promoter and where do you get it? And what does it compare to in price from doing it yourself and letting someone else do it professionally? I'm kinda wanting to paint the dash bezel, the pieces around the a/c vents and a couple pieces off the door panel in a silver metallic color to kinda go w/ the color of my pioneer cd player. Thanks again in advance.
I bought the paint from GM.. in 5oz spray can's. Got them pretty cheap. .. I cound never find the duplicolor cans in stock. Go check out your local parts store or automotive paint place. Promotor is like 5 bucks for a 12oz can.. primer same. auto paint.. about 4-6 dollars for a 5oz can. then clear is 5 for a 12oz can. You will need sand paper, rubbing compound and car polish to finish everything off. Right now i think im sitting at 100 or so with all the paint i have. Ive painted quite a few things already, and still have plenty. I think my next one is the lower dash below the steering column. Get that painted to match, and my paint will most likely be gone by then.. i can always order more. And you know what.. if it takes time.. who cares.. its not like you cant drive around in your truck without them on it. Mine was missing interior pieces and the tailgate handle and bezel for almost a week..Still drove fine :anitoof: :anitoof: :p

·
Registered
272 Posts
silverado_dude said:
How much would a paint shop charge? I dont have much I want painted.
Not cheap.. Probably at minimum 300.. call them and ask.. They would nail you on the labor i can tell you that much

James

·
Registered
15 Posts
if you do all the prep work and have it ready for the painter to just spray the color and clear....you can usually get it done pretty cheap. but dont just go to one shop....shop around.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Hookedupcustoms said:
if you do all the prep work and have it ready for the painter to just spray the color and clear....you can usually get it done pretty cheap. but dont just go to one shop....shop around.
WERD, that what I did. I'm not great at painting plus I don't have the equipment to paint so I did all my prep work and then got my painter to prime, paint and clear. He didn't charge me hardly much at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts