GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about to take off my stock flares and sand em down and re paint them. What paint will stick to the plasstic the best? Any suggestions? Clearcoat? Flat Black? anything?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
well, from what everyone else says on here about painting plastic, you sand it down smooth, takin off all the texture, start with like 400 grit (maybe 200 to get it off fast), go to 600, then 800 wet, spray some adhesion promoter on it, a few coats of base color, then a few coats of clear. the only plastic i have painted was my bowtie, and i didn't even use adhesion promoter, but on something that big, it would be a good idea.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well they make and adhesion promoter that sticks to the plastic so when you spray paint over the part the paint will stick. (basicly is a primer) The company is called Dupli-Color. Found mine @ Checker so any automotive store should have it. even Wal-Mart.

When i painted my bow tie on my truck i used this stuff. worked well for me. paint looks great. (then again it was a small part to paint)

i also used krylor clear coat. Got that at Wal-Mart.

if your careful and (patient) the parts should come out looking good.

besides not using a spray can i dont know what eles to use besides
taking it to a shop.

just my $0.02 i think the flares would look great white.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
like wildstyles said, being paitent is the big thing...painting is something that you cannot rush...if you do, it will show...and on something like a truck that everyone sees, you don't want it to look halfass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts