GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Need to go faster!
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once I get around to my exterior mods, I want to paint all the black plastic up front to match.
Does anybody have any tips to get the best results?
I'm talking about the black part of the grill shell....the bumper cover will hide the rest.

·
Registered
736 Posts
onyx_silverado said:
looks like a good write up, other than the guy needs to learn to spell... heheh
:LOL:
Once i find the motovation, i plan on trying it myself, i have a little trouble finding the bullydog product he talks about, but i really havent made an effort to fing it eather. I bet this would make the engine compartment look sick :puke:

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
That write up isn't too bad. The "Bull Dog" stuff he is talking about is an adhesion promotor found at paint stores and i'm assuming pep boys as he points out.

I sanded with 220, 220 wet, 320 wet, and then 400 wet. Then i sanded some more, just make sure to get all the "grooves" the 220 will leave out. Once your surface is clean you will want to find a plastic prep cleaner found at paint supply stores. Clean the surfaces really well with this stuff, then follow up with the adhesion promotor. After that i shot my basecoat, waited 30 minutes, shot the clear. Let it cure for at least 12 hours before you start handling it and what not. My clear says you can buff it out after 12 hours, but i typically wait 24 hours just to be safe.

If nothing fell into the clear coat, go ahead and install it.

ok, ok, so this is impossible, something will ALWAYS be there. Break out the 800 grit sandpaper and wetsand your piece with little to no pressure on the paper. follow with 1000, 1500, and finally 2000 grit paper. By now th epiece should be very smooth. Polish it out with 3m perfect-it and you will be good to go.

These steps worked for me well, very time consuming, but do you really want to rush these steps and have your piece look like trash?

·
Need to go faster!
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, thanks for all the good info. Now I just gotta get a paint sprayer, and learn how to use it!
I'll tell my wife that I'm gonna repaint the house or something, she'll be all over that. :evillol:

One more question, maybe I missed it, but from the last line of his write-up, it sounds like he was using regular spraypaint. Will it make a big difference if I use a spray can vs paint sprayer? Eventually I will be painting a bumper cover, rollpan, and a hood as well.

·
Registered
736 Posts
He was only using spray paint becuase he wasent ready to invest in a spray gun. Yours will come out professional if you have the expierence with painting. :head:

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
halecj said:
Wow, thanks for all the good info. Now I just gotta get a paint sprayer, and learn how to use it!
I'll tell my wife that I'm gonna repaint the house or something, she'll be all over that. :evillol:

One more question, maybe I missed it, but from the last line of his write-up, it sounds like he was using regular spraypaint. Will it make a big difference if I use a spray can vs paint sprayer? Eventually I will be painting a bumper cover, rollpan, and a hood as well.
In my experiences spray paint from a can has never matched anything correctly. You can pick up a "touch up gun" to be used with a compressor that will put out the perfect amount of paint for the small parts you want to paint, you can pick one up pretty cheaply as well. Get the paint mixed at a good store (local auto paint supply works well) and it should match well and look great.

You'll likely have to get used to spraying out of a gun, it isn't difficult, but like everything else in life, experience helps a great deal since you'll know what to expect!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts