GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
when you paint the frame do you do any prep work to it first or just go ahead and spray it??

what about any surface rust on it??

·
haz 12"s!
4,533 Posts
Some prep it by sand blasting, wire brushing, torch and scraping, etc.. to get the undercoating off and the rust. I just sprayed mine. I did scrape the big white stickers off. I like to take mine off road a lot and hit the mud so no need for some show stopper paint job. Those are for the guys that never see anything but asphalt.

·
Registered
440 Posts
get it to bare metal and prime and paint to do it correctly! You can half ass it and you will be redoing it in a yr or two if not sooner

·
Registered
440 Posts
if you like doing things 2 or 3 times instead of spending the time to do it right the first time, then hey knock yourself out and use .99 cent paint and just paint over the dirt lol

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Somebody search for the thread i made on when i painted my frame... I'm too lazy :crazy:

I used a paint scraper, wire wheels, acetone, red oxide primer from rustoleum, gloss black from rustoleum.

Easiest way - use a torch...that shit comes right off. It's fucking messy. If you want less mess, use the scrapper, it takes longer but you can get 4 ft long strips of the undercoating off at a time.

·
Dukking Around
539 Posts
When I painted mine, I hit the whole frame w/ a wire brush first, and then blew everything off w/ an air gun. I used Krylon semi-gloss black. Turned out great. Used like ten cans though.

·
haz 12"s!
4,533 Posts
if you like doing things 2 or 3 times instead of spending the time to do it right the first time, then hey knock yourself out and use .99 cent paint and just paint over the dirt lol
I did in some spots.. lol Krylon is pretty expensive now a days :D

Id be pretty pissed if I spent a day or 2 painting it and went off road and got a bunch of rock chips, scratches, or chipped some paint off.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
why bother painting your frame if your going to use it off road? sort of like washing your truck before you go mudding? lol of course its your truck though. Like shsportsfan said though a paint scraper is clean to get the undercoat off. The torch and a rag is very simple to get it to bare metal, then wipe it down with paint thinner or acetone or something to remove any grease residue. Using a wire brush/wheel can be tricky if your trying to make the frame slick. If you do it too much in one spot you get scratches that are hard to fill in

·
Registered
227 Posts
iv'e got a couple pints of por15 i'd be willing to sell if someone wanted them for a frame job. This stuff goes a long ways.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
I'm getting ready to tackle this on my underbody (and possibly rear axle), which is getting pretty rusty from the salty MI winters. Actually going to jack it up tomorrow and get started, depending on weather.
As of right now, I plan on just using a wire wheel the best I can reach around up there, then some rust reformer (both paint on and spray on), and some 3M rubberized spray paint coating... What do you all think about that combo? Hoping it coats nicely and holds up decent. Not looking for a show finish, just something rather durable and to coat the rust.

·
Dukking Around
539 Posts
I painted everything, inside and outside of the frame, skid plates, reese hitch, all the drop components, leaf springs, and that huge front bumper and brush guard. Didn't want to half ass anything.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts