GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, theres a guy who works at a pretty good paint shop here in town who said he would paint my truck and he would not charge me for anything but the paint. Sounds great huh! I showed him something out of truckin' ( a killer two tone paint job w/flames) and he said, "No problem, I can do that. Just let me draw somthin up." He said he would bring me his portfolio so I could see what he's made of.

What do you guys think? Should I let him paint my truck? The price is the best I'll ever find but he could really screw up my truck, And what are you gonna say to a guy who just painted your truck for free. I'm kinda in a catch 22, help.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Do you know this guy? Or did you just meet him? I mean, it sounds like a hell of a deal if you are getting labor free, but why would he give you a free paint job, unless he knew you or something?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Well if you trust the shop, and like the work he shows you from his portfolio, i'd go for it. Any custom jobs charge a ton for prep work and the labor of painting. The actual paint shouldn't even be that much. I had my fender flares painted. Only $40 in paint, but like $210 in labor.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Look at some stuff he did first, preferably in person ... pictures can make a bad paintjob look good.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, I trust his shop. but he is going to do it after work if the shop owner lets him. and he's not actually the painter, he's a prep worker and sometimes helps. He's only done a few jobs, but is completely confident he can do it. thats what makes me shakey

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I dunno then, lol.. if he's only done a couple basic jobs... never a full out custom job by himself... i dunno

·
Registered
287 Posts
holy crap, dude $210 for labor for painting your fender flares, thats outrageous I recently bought a new goodmark cowl induction hood, and my local bodyshop that does excellent paint jobs is only charging me $175 to paint the hood, and install it for me heh.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
my friend paints too and he said he would do the same thing, but he wants to paint it in front of his house. i dont know about it.

·
Yes, I do...
4,065 Posts
sounds a little shaky. Go with your gut man, but i would try to work out some sort of deal with him as to where if it turns out horrible, he'll paint your truck back stock for you...

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
dreamrr said:
well, I trust his shop. but he is going to do it after work if the shop owner lets him. and he's not actually the painter, he's a prep worker and sometimes helps. He's only done a few jobs, but is completely confident he can do it. thats what makes me shakey
It might work out then, maybe he wants to leave doing the prepwork behind and become a painter and his work won't give him the opportunity on customer cars, so he wants to get some experience under his belt ... again though I would want to see what he's done .. look for orange peel, fish eye, etc .... THOUGH if he does prep work for a living, he's probably good at it and :imo good prep work is 80% of having a good paint job.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
Adam said:
Be careful, you might end up with flames like Zuby. :D
ouch :pow:

i'd have him do somehting simple... like a straight two tone, something that even if he has the brain of a monkey, he can't fuck up.

·
Registered
347 Posts
DEFINITELY LOOK AT SOME OF HIS WORK FIRST -- MAYBE ALOT. YA'LL CAN SEE MY PAINT JOB, IT AIN'T MUCH. PEARL WHITE BASE W/ SOME FLAMES HERE AND THERE AND A LITTLE BIT OF SHAVING. I PAID $5K FOR THAT. :bawl: I LOOKED AT A MOTORCYCLE THIS GUY PAINTED, IT LOOKED GOOD. I THINK HE WAS IN OVER HIS HEAD ON THIS ONE. TOO BIG OF A PROJECT AND I WAS AN DIOT FOR LETTING HIM GET NEAR MY TRUCK WITH A SPRAY GUN :idiot:

MY ADVICE IS JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSES, LOOK AT AS MUCH OF HIS WORK AS POSSIBLE :D . IN PERSON IF YOU CAN. THEN GO FROM THERE.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well thanks for all your help guys. I think I am going to go with my gut on this one and not have him work on my truck. I dont want to ruin a good thing....ya know! I think I am just going to leave my truck alone for right now, but I'll let you no if I change my mind. :bowtie:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts