GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah, a badass sound system should not have a panasonic headunit running it. you were right. why? because their stuff is fucking garbage. i spent a good deal of time installing my new headunit and sirius tuner. got the headunit it, put a CD in, made a grinding noise and would not play or eject the CD. i pulled it out of the dash, still could not get it to eject. took the mounting brackets off the side and the CD popped out. there's a graphic on the side of the unit near the screw holes that says don't use screws longer than 8mm. i used the screws that came with the unit and when tightened, i guess they press against the CD player mechanism inside the unit and prevent the CD from playing or ejecting. that's fucking wonderful. i rigged them using washers and it worked fine. i set it to sirius and the display said SR NOT. manual says this code means the sirius tuner is not working. i checked the plug on the back of the unit and double checked my wiring. +, check, ground, check, harness plugged into tuner, check, antenna, check. shut it off and tried again, nothing. i fucked with it for an hour and could not get anything to work. i yanked the tuner and harness, if the ebay seller doesn't take it back it's going in the garbage, same with the headunit. i don't know why the fuck i didn't buy alpine like i should have. i wouldn't be as mad had i not wasted so much time doing a nice clean install and then having to rip half the shit out. sorry about the profanity. be glad you weren't around today. it took all i had to not throw the goddamn thing across my garage :rant:

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Wow...sorry to hear about your troubles. I've either been lucky or you just have run into a lot of bad luck. I've have 3 panasonics in the family, all w/ sirius, and haven't had any issues.

Cameron

·
Registered
343 Posts
I remember I told you back when you made your first post that you should have gotten an alpine or eclipse. But, atleast you have warranty on the panasonic. I personally have always loved alpine's (very reliable, I have owned 4 alpines and 1 eclipse). However, some swear by the eclipses SQ. They aren't too easy on the eyes thought lol. Good luck with your troubles!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I had a pair of panasonic speakers once, I enjoyed them very much in my volvo. Also have 2 panasonic VCR's, no problems there... :shrug:

I think you're cursed :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Lemme tell you something, getting Alpine may not have given you any better results. You can get bum equipment with any name on it.
I tried 2 different Alpine XM tuners and still could not get XM service (was reciveing info, the preview channel and such but would not subscribe or whatever they call it ). Now granted I was buying them off ebay too so I dunno. The seller stated they were tested to work 100%, luckily they were cool about trying to remedy the problem and eventually they issued me a refund.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
I thought we told you they were junk, hope it works out for you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts