GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Very very nice. I dont know if I would choose the top u bolt plate for a mounting spot but I guess it will work. I am going to use the u bolt plates like that for my shock mounting tabs. Guess that means fabbing up a bracket on the axle for the panhard. Looks like you got the angle near perfect (same as the drag link) and the mounts look sturdy. Did you just cut up some square tubing and weld it like that?

Also off topic but did you make that shackle flip? Looks great, alot like the ORD kit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used plate and just boxed it in on that side.I was going to go off of the axle but my shock mount was already there.Oh and ya I did make that shackle flip

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Very nice work. One thing though, you may want to fully weld the frame end bracket to the frame, the weld that is on it is in the bend plane and could fatigue and break off the frame after a while.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was kinda debating on welding that or not Ive heard several people that you cannot weld on the top or the bottom of the frame.But the sides are fine to weld on.

·
6,656 Posts
95sfa said:
I was kinda debating on welding that or not Ive heard several people that you cannot weld on the top or the bottom of the frame.But the sides are fine to weld on.
Never heard that, as long as you prep it right, its the same metal.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Well it does weaken the frame. The frame is made more of a spring steel than mild steel. The best way to weld brackets to a frame is to make the bracket so it has a scalloped edge going in and out about 1" or so over the length of the weld face. So the edge of the bracket where it would weld to the frame would be like this:

\
/
\
/
\
/

That way there is not one single weakened line on the frame where a crack could form.

·
6,656 Posts
Ill keep that in mind when I make my SFA brackets. Does the hydroformed steel on the NBS trucks have the same weakening problem?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right on thanks for the info that makes since. Does that apply to just the top and bottom or should you do that even on the sides?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Should do it everywhere you weld on it. Also, when welding a flat plate to the side of the frame, like say a 4x4" square plate being welded to the side of the frame, drill a few 1/2" or so holes in it in various places and so some plug welds. This will lessen the chance of the plate pulling out a shunk of the frame and ripping off.

As far as the new frame, not sure on the grade of steel they use but I would still recomend the scalloped method. Welding causes a weak spot in any flat plate so spreading that out over a larger area can't hurt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts