GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive had a leak in my passenger floor board since i bought this 96 tahoe about 6 months ago . when it rains it leaks in and i end up with enough water to push the carpet and have water standing over my hand in the floor board. its coming in through the blower motor case . when i start the ac it will run out fast until it is empty and then stop. it is water not coolant . i was told there is a smal drain line that was probably clogged up i looked and cant find the small line they described i do have a very small elbow line looks like a spark plug boot on the far left side on the firewall right next to my 2 heater hoses .Is this the drain line they are talking about? i ran a peice of wire in the hole and can hear it inside on the blower motor case when i pull it out it is wet but no dirt or water running out ? any advice will be greatly appreciated .please help

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would but i dont have access to one and the shop i webnt too wanted $25 blow it out i told them where to stick the hose ill buy a compressor in about a week and see if it works thanks bro

·
Registered
605 Posts
That is the boot I had to replace. That is exactly what it looks like a "spark plug boot". It is a bitch to get in there. The boot comes off so it would make it easier access the hole. The service writer I spoke to said they used a small piece of wire to clean it out. If that piece for the A/C wasn't in the way it would be simple.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
make sure once you get it all squared away to pull the seat and pull back the carpet to let it dry as well as the insulation. Your carpet is rubber lined on the bottom to help spills stay on top. With age the rubber will crack in areas letting the water from underneath seep back up. Pull the rug, you will be amazed how wet and mildewy it is under there.

Mr. 960

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh its mildewwed all the way around the passenger side im replacing it but cant stop the leak yet i cleaned that hole and no luck i just pulled off the cowl and ran water through it and it ran right into the floorboard not sure what to do that 90* boot is cleaned out and the hole that runs to it but its like 1/2 of every gallon down the cowl coming into the floor ? what should i try please help im off today only

·
Registered
62 Posts
i found a another forum where this was a major issue also and noone had a fix for it just let it leak im not gonna do that .had this as a link but i cant get it to work .

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48890
THIS is the correct link.

I have the same problem, when it rains the blower fills up with water. Today when I left work, I turned the A/C on and I just sat there watching all the water pour out. I've been meaning to check out what the problem is but it always slips my mind...I have more important things to fix.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well dont knowif it will help but i was told by a shop today to put window sealer around the 2 far 2 passenger side cowl screws not the side piece but the large one under the cowl and in the cowl holes then screw the scres down and rub the access all around the screw head to make sure its all sealed they said that ever since the 88-98 came out thaty have found a leak here in 99% of all the truck that have apassenger side leak there . i did it but have to wait a few days and hit it with the hose and see if it worked . when i put ht ehose in the cowl hole on mine it just ran out into the floor so i doubt this will fix it i think mine is a clogged drain hole on the passenger side but i cant find it .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone. I just bought a 2005 chevy silverado and the day I bought it I went through a huge rain storm. Well last night I found both the passenger and drivers floor were soaked. I started pulling things apart and found an access panel above the outside air a/c inlet that is under the cowl panel on the passengers side was loose. This panel is supposed to be glued down with urethan adhesive and it came loose. I also ran some water in the cowl panel and saw it leaking in the car down the passengers side firewall. I believe i have two troubles. The outside air inlet for the a/c is a plastic little box with a screen inside that sticks up about 2 to 3 inches from the cab. I think water is coming in from around the perimeter of that box and also that loose access panel that is right above the intake is letting water pour directly into the box. I am going to seal both tomorrow and let you all know if this corrects my trouble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe I have corrected the issues regarding my previous post. I sealed all around the fresh air a/c intake box and re-sealed the access panel above it and no more water coming into the truck. I hope this info might help some others. Keep us posted.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
I had a 97 Sierra that had a leak around the windshield that made the passenger floor wet.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
well dont knowif it will help but i was told by a shop today to put window sealer around the 2 far 2 passenger side cowl screws not the side piece but the large one under the cowl and in the cowl holes then screw the scres down and rub the access all around the screw head to make sure its all sealed they said that ever since the 88-98 came out thaty have found a leak here in 99% of all the truck that have apassenger side leak there . i did it but have to wait a few days and hit it with the hose and see if it worked . when i put ht ehose in the cowl hole on mine it just ran out into the floor so i doubt this will fix it i think mine is a clogged drain hole on the passenger side but i cant find it .
This should do it. It cured my leak.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts