GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of paying a local detail shop that I think I can trust based on what I've heard and seen. Wondering what you guys think. I'm just not satisfied with how I've been keeping up on my truck. I polish wax and seal throughout the year but I feel like it could be better. And sense now I have American forces I want the wheels PERFECT and again I feel unhappy with how they look even after buying AF's polish kit and even using the Meguiars power ball. I just recently got into some Chemical guys products such as there soaps, foam cannon and their deep gloss/ sealant and deep refelctions wax. Just looking for opinions really. Should I pay someone and then maintain it after its perfect or spend more time in this part of the forum and learn to do it myself?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I vote yes.First time I washed/waxed my crew cab after buying it in March took over four hours.I said to myself someone else can do it next time.So it's been getting the $25 run thru the carwash where they do inside and out when it needs cleaned.Going to have guy who details cars around here do it right before winter and give it a good coat of wax.

9,794 Posts
What kind of price is this shop talking to do the detail?

Do you have any interest in doing it yourself and learning more?

·
Vendor
892 Posts
People sometimes consider paying to have the big job (paint correction, decon, etc.) done, and them do the maintenance themselves. That all depends on your budget, how much time you have to invest into maintenance, and of course the credibility of the shop who's doing to work.

But since you're hanging out with all the detailing nut jobs in here, I think you'll get a lot of votes to do it yourself.

I'll be one to put a vote in for that camp. :)

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
I agree... a lot of this hinges on the quality of the work the shop will do and your budget.

Theres really nothing a shop can do that you can't learn to do yourself over time, but I get the idea of just having them get it to perfect so you can maintain it from there having appeal.

·
Detailing Addict
1,935 Posts
Do it yourself if you have the time and proper equipment, you'll learn a lot by doing it and once you get it the way you want you'll know how to better maintain it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My biggest frustration is putting the time in and not seeing the results. Such as the AF polish kit I bought to do their wheels. after a stupid amount of time on one wheel it looked no different than the other three. So I just gave up and hit em with the powerball. I haven't actually used a swirl remover on my truck but after seeing some threads and pictures I think that's part of my problem. So this weekend I think I'm gonna do a wash, swirl remover, polish, wax, then sealant Because the poor truck sits outside more then in the garage.

·
Registered
689 Posts

·
2009 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71
4,791 Posts
I paid a shop in town $200 to detail my truck once. I was NOT happy with the results and I'm not exactly picky about how it looks.

A buddy of mine is a professional mobile detailer. He put over 20 hours into my truck over the winter. Had he charged me, it would have been over $2000 in labor.

I just recently washed my truck for the first time since his detail, also using the two bucket method for the first time, and I love the way my truck looks at the moment.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I didn't know ANYTHING about detailing when I got into it. After reading a lot and watching plenty of videos I feel I have a good grasp on it. It's not difficult just time consuming. I vote to do it yourself. The money you spend on the detail, you could buy most of the tools and product to do it yourself whenever it calls for it.

·
A Proud Texan
4,156 Posts
very few detail shops use quality professional products now a days, i vote do it yourself, unless you can find a reputable shop

·
Your Mother, Trebek.
20 Posts
I don't know about where you live, but most detail shops around my area consist of some guy doing a quick wash (maybe not even a 2 bucket wash) and then slapping on some wax and tire shine and calling it quits. All with over the counter products. Hardly no one around me actually uses professional products or methods. And that is why I decided to learn how to do it myself. I learned a lot from the internet, bought the right equipment and products, then I have learned everything else from experience really.

I say that you study up and learn how to do what you are desiring and then do it yourself. That is just me though, I think it is well worth it in the long run. I mean it is a valuable skill that can make you some money if you get good enough at it too.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I don't know about where you live, but most detail shops around my area consist of some guy doing a quick wash (maybe not even a 2 bucket wash) and then slapping on some wax and tire shine and calling it quits. All with over the counter products. Hardly no one around me actually uses professional products or methods. And that is why I decided to learn how to do it myself. I learned a lot from the internet, bought the right equipment and products, then I have learned everything else from experience really.

I say that you study up and learn how to do what you are desiring and then do it yourself. That is just me though, I think it is well worth it in the long run. I mean it is a valuable skill that can make you some money if you get good enough at it too.
First and last time I took my truck to get it detailed I was so disgusted with everything i will never take my truck anywhere to get it detailed again. So i researched a lot on how to do it myself and couldnt be happier with my own results

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Make sure they don't detail like they do in the video Dylan just posted...

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
i would pay to have the paint done but the wheels arent bad to keep up if you give them a quick polish every week, or every other week, i have been polishing mine just with adams #2 metal polish every week, or day after washing my truck to keep them looking nice

1 - 15 of 15 Posts