GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if im going to use 37s, is it necessary to regear and if so what gear? i thought 4.56 would be best. and then for the people that are using 37s or more on a 1/2 ton and didnt regear, how sluggish is ur truck? and how long do u think itll go before it blows if i dont regear?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I wouldn't run stock gears with 37s...id consider it if you had 4.10s stock, but those trucks stock w/ those are few and far between, so most likely u have 3.73 or 3.42s. you can run them with 3.73s, but will be hard on your tranny, and 3.42s would be hell on it. Spend a few hundred (maybe $450 installed for gears alone, cheaper than a rebuilt tranny tho) and save your tranny...the 4.56s would be a good choice too for 37s.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so u think $450 would cover gears front and rear and installed? i always thought it would be more then that.... im asking cause thats where i want to end up with my truck. a 6+3 and 37s and i wanna be able to have as much if not more grunt then i do with my 285s and 3.73s

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
on my 2wd... when i get my 35's on, will i need 4.56 gears for front and back? lol, sorry if its a stupid question... and what gears should i go with and does anyone knwo of any places in so. ca for install?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RedneckDude said:
Spend a few hundred (maybe $450 installed for gears alone, cheaper than a rebuilt tranny tho) and save your tranny...the 4.56s would be a good choice too for 37s.
what was redneck dude talking about when he said 450 then? would it be ok to just do rear gears if i just cruise on the street? i dont wheel alot, but if i were to get gears in the rear and then not in the front and try and put it in 4WD, it would just mess tons of stuff up, right? basically im asking if im going to regear, its best to do front and rear?

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
I run 37s woth 4.56 gears front and back. Truck moves fine, really close to stock. My motor has no trouble on city or highway at 75. But lets face the facts, your not buildin a dragster here.

·
i need a freak!!!
1,027 Posts
i didnt regear my 2500HD for 37's, but i also have a duramax. i can still smoke my 37's. i also have a hypertech on it but thats it.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
hey Senorpedro18, what happened to my poor x-terrains, how dare you switch them out for 37's :(

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
well I would regear if I were you. A shop generally charges 200-300+ per axle in labor + parts (gears and instal kits - gears run 150-200 for a ring and pinion and a master instal kit runs 100ish for each axle) Thats why I learned to setup gears, no way was I paying that!

·
6,656 Posts
id be willing to bet that it didnt, 4.10s werent an option with the duramax for his truck

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kyle i still got em, they are about to go on soon. probably within the next month or so. but im askin about 37s because thats where i want to end up on my truck and im just getting all the information about it now.

the llama, how much was it for 4.56s front and rear and then the install?

·
6,656 Posts
depending on brand the ring and pinion will run you 125-225 for each axle, then if you want a master instal kit right around 100 per axle, a shop will charge 200-400 per axle for labor. Gear labor is long and tedious, I am cheap and still charge like 125 an axle.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Senorpedro18 said:
if im going to use 37s, is it necessary to regear and if so what gear? i thought 4.56 would be best. and then for the people that are using 37s or more on a 1/2 ton and didnt regear, how sluggish is ur truck? and how long do u think itll go before it blows if i dont regear?
Run 4.56 and 4.88 if u like to be geared low. For rear gears installed expect to pay around 600 bucks after its all said and done....that will cover the gears, install kit which are your bearings and such, and all the little fees you might have to pay...and thats keeping your stock locker if u have one and stock diff. cover. Another thing make sure you are paying more than 139.99 for the rear gears themselves...go with precision gear or any other high quality gear, stay away from the cheep genuine gears.

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Your best best is to get you gears from 4 wheel parts. I am against the company buy their gear prices arent horrible and you need to get them when they have a half off labor sale. Thats what i did. I think i paid 600 or so. Their next half off labor sale is aug 14. You have tyo be patient to get the deals but they will come.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts