GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Stars and bars aficionado
2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SL Z71 edition, 5.3 Vortec V8, 4X4, Red, Extended Cab, Automatic
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is the best? I like what I've read about the Vortex but hear a lot about the Diablo so I'm not sure which one to go with. What kind of features should I look for it to have or whatever, I've never messed with anything like this and know nothing about it so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,854 Posts
Your truck doesn’t use a “chip” it uses a tuner via your obd2 port

Yes, Diablo is one of the better hand held tuners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SL Z71 edition, 5.3 Vortec V8, 4X4, Red, Extended Cab, Automatic
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, who does those just a local mechanic or do I need to go to a specialty shop like a dealership or something similar? Cuz I know if screw things up most likely by playing around with shit I shouldn't bother lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,854 Posts
You buy them online. And plug them in yourself.

·
n. fil-dert.
7,009 Posts
You'll be able to pop wheelies

Reactions: brichter

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh the custom tune I do myself? Ok, I'll check into it and from what I've read across several sites is the Blackbear seems to be best. Thanks y'all.

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You buy them online. And plug them in yourself.

Ok so I contacted black bear, the way they do things seems straight up and simple enough. Just hope it's affordable enough lol.

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A custom tune is worth considering also. One popular option is Blackbear.
Thanks for the recommendation, I contacted them so I'll have more info shortly. They seem pretty straightforward and simple, I like what I read on their site. Better than diablo, that scared me some. Knowing me, I'd go in and tweak different aspects and fry my engine. That's why I was wondering about someo e else doin it.

·
Super Moderator
5,854 Posts
Diablew.com

Does the same thing as black bear using the diablo tuner. And is a bit cheaper if I remember correctly.

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool thanks

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"We can disable the evap and rear O2 sensors however that may be in violation of the EPA's Clean Air Act so we can only do so on off-road vehicles. We will need an affidavit signed and returned to us certifying this will be used for off-road use only." So this is the email I received, part of it anyway, from black bear. What do I do? Just lie and give em an affidavit or what?

·
Some dude on the internet
395 Posts
That's their legal disclaimer since disabling any emissions control devices is illegal for on-road vehicles. The affidavit is absolving them from responsibility. If you are nervous about doing this, you might be better off trying to find a local tuner that can do it with HPTuners or EFI live.

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nah I'll send em what they want hell it ain't like the cops gonna ask to see my affidavit if I'm pulled over lol. They're usually tryin to shut me up cuz I'm goin off on em cussing em out so I'm good I was just not thinking when I posted that but I've had time to think since then lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts