GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have mentioned, I have a 262ci 4.3 V6. I have been thinking about swapping my V6 for a 4.8 V8

I have looked around to see what I could get, but I need to know how many more parts I could get to get the V6 to talk. Can anyone list all of the available parts for the 4.3 V6? And I mean all of the possible parts.

Now, with the swap in mind (If I actually do it), can a list be made of all of the parts for the V8?

For a good round figure, how much in total (If I get all of the parts) would the stuff for the V6 be? The V8 plus the swap (make up a good figure for the swap)?

I just need to figure out where I want to go with my truck, performance wise.

Trust me, I have looked around, and my keywords in search engines suck for performance parts for trucks.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I can't get 18 or 19 MPG, then no. Yeah, with the help of a tonneau cover and an air-intake, it will increase.

I know the bigger engines get less than great MPG, but if I can't get anything more than a 18.

What does the 4.8 get?

·
Cartmans Critters
8,871 Posts
If I can't get 18 or 19 MPG, then no. Yeah, with the help of a tonneau cover and an air-intake, it will increase.

I know the bigger engines get less than great MPG, but if I can't get anything more than a 18.

What does the 4.8 get?
I have the 4.8 and they get basically the same as a 5.3, If youre looking for performance you cant be picky on MPG

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hm...My 4.3 gets me an average of 19...I'm keeping that. The swap is out.

What can I get to increase power for the V6?

I know Headers, Exhaust, Air-intake, and messing the computer, but what else is there?

·
Cartmans Critters
8,871 Posts
Hm...My 4.3 gets me an average of 19...I'm keeping that. The swap is out.

What can I get to increase power for the V6?

I know Headers, Exhaust, Air-intake, and messing the computer, but what else is there?
That sounds about like what I would start out by doing, maybe a stall converter and some gears.......Other than that Im not familiar with the v6

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
Dude, with my tune i get about 19-20mph highway and 17 city with my rcsb 5.3...look at it like this..even though you may not have as many cylinders firing, your 4.3 is having to work harder than a 4.8 or 5.3 would have to work in order to get the truck up to speed. it only makes since that with more power being produced by the 4.8/5.3, the truck gets rolling easier..therefore, you honestly dont get worse mileage..look at lifted's sig..he has an extended cab truck thats lifted with larger tires at that..THAT is why his mileage is worse. go ahead and do the swap:shake:

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
a tune will be the best thing you can do for a nbs motor from what i hear. Exhaust, intake, headers, etc. are just add to what the tune gives you

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dude, with my tune i get about 19-20mph highway and 17 city with my rcsb 5.3...look at it like this..even though you may not have as many cylinders firing, your 4.3 is having to work harder than a 4.8 or 5.3 would have to work in order to get the truck up to speed. it only makes since that with more power being produced by the 4.8/5.3, the truck gets rolling easier..therefore, you honestly dont get worse mileage..look at lifted's sig..he has an extended cab truck thats lifted with larger tires at that..THAT is why his mileage is worse. go ahead and do the swap:shake:
Which motor should I do then? the 4.8 or the 5.3?

franksgmcsierra said:
if the money wasnt an issue I would do the 5.3 swap. I have a5.3 in a crew cab and I get 16.2 in the city and 19 in the highway. Just do it!
Well, money will be tight...As soon as I get the money rolling in, I will be able to mess around a bit.

BTW to everyone: I am in the country, so in City MPG is irrelevant to me, it's just the Highway MPG. Nothing out here but Highway and dirt roads.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
Honestly, if you're going to dish the cash to do an engine swap and replace engine mounts & fix the harness to fit, go ahead and get a 6.0 Seeing how you're looking for performance now, this 6.0 will be all you've wanted:naughty:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What kind of cost am I looking at to have a professional garage/shop do the mounting and harness fitting as well as dropping the motor in?

I don't want to get a really high powered engine, I just want something in between, either the 4.8 or the 5.3.

Besides, I am not the type to pour a lot of money into my car (I will need that money I am collecting for college.)...therefore, I am not willing to put out more than 5000 into the thing.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
probably looking at $1000ish to swap the engine. If you look hard enough i'm sure you can find a low mileage 5.3 for $1500 or so. Im honestly not all too sure how much it'll cost as i havent personally done it. maybe someone like demon can help you out seeing how he done the exact swap and knows how time consuming it is.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
probably looking at $1000ish to swap the engine. If you look hard enough i'm sure you can find a low mileage 5.3 for $1500 or so. Im honestly not all too sure how much it'll cost as i havent personally done it. maybe someone like demon can help you out seeing how he done the exact swap and knows how time consuming it is.
if you look even harder, you can find them for under 500$...

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
What kind of cost am I looking at to have a professional garage/shop do the mounting and harness fitting as well as dropping the motor in?

I don't want to get a really high powered engine, I just want something in between, either the 4.8 or the 5.3.

Besides, I am not the type to pour a lot of money into my car (I will need that money I am collecting for college.)...therefore, I am not willing to put out more than 5000 into the thing.
You can find a complete 5.3L for as cheap as $500, they're a dime a dozen. Expect to get close to 20mpg with a wait4me tune, nelson tune or similar with a 5.3L. I got 18.5 in my extended cab with a tonneau, intake and exhaust with just a tune and mixed driving.

I would expect to pay about $800 to have a shop put in your new engine. Maybe a little more since it's a v6 to v8 swap. All in all expect to pay $2000 maybe less if you have a shop do it, and $1000-$1300 if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since I know next to nothing about vehicles (except the stuff I can put on), I'll let the shop do it (which ever I get to).

Where could I find a 5.3? a salvage yard maybe?

Thanks. Maybe a I have something to look forward to doing later. How long do you think it will take for a 5.3 to be ready to roll?

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Since I know next to nothing about vehicles (except the stuff I can put on), I'll let the shop do it (which ever I get to).

Where could I find a 5.3? a salvage yard maybe?

Thanks. Maybe a I have something to look forward to doing later. How long do you think it will take for a 5.3 to be ready to roll?
car-parts.com it gives you a listing of all junk yards inventory in the US

As far as the swap time. It's a one day affair. I know of guys who have gone from a 4.3L to a 6.0 in 9 hours mostly doing it themselves. With a shop doing it, it can probably be done in less

1 - 20 of 53 Posts