GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin and I decided to take a little road trip today we planed this while we were watching the super bowl. We were just gonna go to Alpine and swing up to Fort Davis but instead cut from Alpine to Big Bend National Park then to Lajitas.
I've never been to Big Bend and its not very far from my house and now I am pissed I didn't go sooner but I will make repeat trips down there.

Here is a few pics.

Nice little rock mountain it looked neat for a pic nothing real special but different.
IMG_1537.jpg

Here is a few random pics from the highway
IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

Nice little valley.
IMG_1541.jpg

More random pics

IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

Here is a few of my favorite shots, the Rio Grande runs between these mountains and it was badass through there.
IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

"Mule Ears"
IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

And what road trip wouldn't be complete without a speeding ticket. 78 in a 65 :bawl:
My cousin took this pic while I was going 75 knee driving. I shall never learn.
IMG_1561.gif

On the way back I nearly hit a massive bull elk, he was about the size of a mule and his rack was huge did have time to count points but he was huge, I had to shower down on my brakes to keep from cleaning him out. It was the biggest elk I have ever seen, Alaska type shit here in West Texas.

The trip was a blast but the old Powerstroke enjoyed that diesel running 80+ the whole way well until the ticket.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Absolutely beautiful. That's the best part of the country right there. It reminds me sooo much of western Arizona and New Mexico. Unfortunately, I've never been to Texas.

·
DisgruntleD
3,821 Posts
I took a motorcycle trip down there my senior year in high school, we trailered down to DFW and then rode to the Midland Odessa, then went down the the Big Bend for 3 days. It was amazing scenery, we put on 1200 miles on the bikes in 5 days. I have some pictures of all of us in the same spot that you took the picture of the rio grande cutting through the mountain. I'd love to make it back there sometime, nice place.

Did you see the Mayor of Lajitas? We dumped a couple six packs of beer down his throat while we were there.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you see the Mayor of Lajitas? We dumped a couple six packs of beer down his throat while we were there.
Nah we make it through Lajitas right at dark. I've heard about the goat though. Its amazing how much money that guy spent on that place, its beautiful there.

what type of mpg was your beast getting?
Prolly 13ish going 80+ and maybe a little better after I got the ticket but not great by any means. But she runs like a bat outta hell. :rocking:

·
Dem People
5,664 Posts
Those are awesome pics. I wanna ride a bike through the mountains and desert one day.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
:cool: Looks like the back drop for "The Hills Have Eyes."
i was thinking the same thing, i wish i could make it out to west texas more often, been down there once with my mom years back when she had a client there, it was awesome but its a 13 hour drive from east texas to west texas lol and thats not far east and far west

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
gorgeous.... ive been there 3 times. i never get sick of it. the goat is crazy. ft davis is great. best hmburgers EVER at Pops grille

1 - 15 of 15 Posts