GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5.7 350 tbi

The Problem : I do not know what the hell this sensor is. It's the last thing I need to replace before the engine can go in..if anyone knows, please post up! It is this this little one right by the distributor.
Picture005.gif

More pics below

The Story: My old engine was burning through 5 quarts of oil every 3-400 miles, so it had to go. Got on craigslist one night and saw an ad for a 1988 5.7 350 that came outta van. Went to go check it out...looked like..well an 1988 350, and the guy had no idea about what it was even but coming from an 88 van i figured it was TBI. So we got it back to my buddys and broke it down. EVERYTHING has been replaced. New pistons, rods, valve seals, gaskets, timing chain, EVERYTHING. I stole it for $400 and the guy could've easily gotten a grand. I re-used a few thing like air cleaner, intake, etc. Found out my exhaust manifolds were slightly warped so im about to go pick up another used set for $50 and she should be running by tomorrow.

So here she sits. Tires and hood will be comin off tomorrow.
Picture001-1.gif

Rocker panels off, getting paintedd after engines done
Picture003-1.gif

The old turd.
Picture006.gif

Im so ready to see this
Picture004.gif

in here
Picture010-1.gif

·
Registered
43 Posts
That would be the oil pressure sensor. The dash gauge on mine wasn't working right, so I put a T pipe in it to run a new sensor as well as a gauge for direct readings under the hood. I've heard it's not uncommon for these to fail fairly often.. It wouldn't have been a bad idea to run a direct gauge on yours if it was going through so much oil.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Yep oil pressure.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Idk bout a TBI, but on a vortec, that controls the fuel pump after startup as well..

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got it. Turns out the exhaust manifolds weren't warped. Apparently between 88-89 they went from a 7 bolt design back to a six bolt design on the heads. So I gotta drive these manifolds back to the guy tomorrow and order some shorty headers for the 88 heads...anyone got a link on some cheapos?

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A couple of other things I'm interested in is (1)2-3" Open element air filter. Would you suggest it for a lifted truck thats mainly retired from offroad. If I do go offroad its when I go off on some dusty roads in the country. I just can't find anywhere that sells the conversion kit, or do I just buy the bottom/top lids and put it in? (2) Good 2" throttle body spacer. Where to buy? Which one is the best? I really just want it for the whistle.

Last Q, with a taller air filter and a throttle body spacer would I need to modify the hood at all? Its a cowl hood but underneath doesn't really offer any more clearance than a stock hood. Thanks

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
If the cowl hood isn't already cut out I'd chop it up and make it flow some cool air in as well as giving you some room. That's just me though.

As for the air filter your local napa/oriely's should be able to find you a chromed edelbrock replacement. All the parts stores here in town stock them and it's not a large town.

And the stall should help with your acceleration by letting you get up in the rpms quicker.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts