GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get the Pioneer Premier 12'' Shallow Mount once I get some money together. I've looked around and I figure I need a 700 watt amp @ ??? ohms?? The Subs are rated for 1400 watts @ 4 ohms. I think. I also need a box to fit behhind my seat and i'd rather just buy one rather than building one. It would have to be around 3'' at the top and like 7'' at the bottom with chambers probably around .85 for each side. I have a bench seat and I wanna keep the seats all the way back. any thoughts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
shallow mounts are rated at 350 watts RMS @ 4 ohms, not 1400 watts. that number is a MAX number. you can feed anywhere between 350-500 and you'll be ok i guess. consider pushing out the top of your box about half an inch more for clearance. that should be good

·
Registered
159 Posts
go with a 12" shallow mount sub and then get a 10" bassworx truck box and cut it out so the 12" fits in there.....trust me it sounds sooooo good

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
hey andrew, im running a 700watt @2ohms and it sounds pretty good.

Pioneer says anywhere from .5-1.5 cu/ft with 1.0cu/ft being optimal, i have a box from ambrosia that i put these in, but its not long enough to fill the whole rear section (its about 4" too short to fill in the gaps completely)

Dave

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya see you have newer body truck so you have a little more room. My OBS I dont have anything. I need a really small box. 3.5'' @ the top and about 7-8''at the bottom

·
Registered
4 Posts
ya see you have newer body truck so you have a little more room. My OBS I dont have anything. I need a really small box. 3.5'' @ the top and about 7-8''at the bottom
I had a 94 reg cab a few years ago and I got a box built for 2 12" Rockford HE2's. The box was pretty deep and I had to have the seat moved forward alot. I don't remember the dimensions for sure but I am guessing that it was about 5-6" at the top and about 10" at the bottom. Those subs hit so hard the I thought the rear window was going to shatter.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
i could measure the box....if its close to your dimesnions, i'll let you know.

Dave

·
Registered
502 Posts
im pushing my 12" premier shallowmount with an old rocksford 400rms amp and its more than enough and sometimes too much depending on what kind of music. they are rated for 350 rms and 1000 or 1200 max btw.

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
I would not buy the pioneer box. The sub kicks ass, but the one I listened to in the audio shop they said they had to pull the pioneer box completely apart and rebuild it. They said the box wasn't sealed at all, no silicone and hardly any woodglue holding it together. Apparently it sounded like ass untill they rebuilt it.

I'm set on building my own boxes anyways, but there are a lot cheaper options out there than the pioneer one anyways. And shop around for the subs, I've seen the premiere ones for $120 online.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
had that exact amp in my OBS powering 2 10's...seemed like a pretty good amp, my buddy has one in his NBS as well powering a 12 and loves it.

Dave

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Full-time FSC'er
186 Posts
If you use that amp you will only get 125 watts to each speaker. The speakers are single 4 ohm impedance and the amp produces 125x2 into 4 ohms. The amp does 250x2 into 2 ohms. If the shallows come in dual 4 then it'd work since you could wire up each speaker to a 2 ohm load. Even if you ran 1 10, or 1 12 the sub would still only see 125 watts.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14327

Check out that RF amp above. That'd be alright. Wire the 2 subs up to a 2 ohm load, they share 600 watts.

And with box size. Well I squeezed 2.1 cubes out of the area behind the bench, and I'm 6'2" 250lbs and can still sit comfortably. Another inch in any direction and the box would not have fit width wise. I also built it to set under that rear piece of plastic that runs along the length of the window line. If that was gone, it could have gone taller.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So with that mono amp I would have to wire it up like this? For the 12's which one

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
So with that mono amp I would have to wire it up like this? For the 12's which one

top image, they only come in single 4 ohm as far as I know. All + go to +, and all - go to -.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts