GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to get a re-alignment and found out my pitman arm and idler need replaced wanted 500 to do it all, is this something i can get at a parts store and put on myself then get it realigned? or better off paying someone to do it ?

·
Greg
43 Posts
went to get a re-alignment and found out my pitman arm and idler need replaced wanted 500 to do it all, is this something i can get at a parts store and put on myself then get it realigned? or better off paying someone to do it ?

you can do it yourself....pitman arm and idler arm (and bracket) are fairly cheap.. idler arm is cake to put on ..pitman arm is a bit tougher but can very much be done in a driveway with hand tools

save yourself the $200-$300 and do it yourself

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i do need the bracket?

idler arm Front; 4WD; Incl. powdered-metal gusher bearing to allow grease to penetrate bearing surfaces; w/o frame bracket
Idler Arm Bracket Assembly Front; 4WD; Incl. powdered-metal gusher bearing to allow grease to penetrate bearing surfaces. Incl. bracket assy. and problem solving grease hose kit.
pitman arm Front; 4WD; Incl. powdered-metal gusher bearing to allow grease to penetrate bearing surfaces; 3 Splines(i know i need to see if its 3 or 4)

·
Greg
43 Posts
I suggest a new bracket , its only 2 bolts and is easy to install..

you dont have to its just nice to do when your in there

yes you need to see which one you have cause one wont fit. and if its either 3 or 4 spline

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright thanks im getting the MOOG ones from rock auto

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any tricks to replacing the arms, doing it Tuesday on a lift

·
Registered
487 Posts
You might have to un bolt and move the steering box to get on the pitman arm, cant remember why but I did have to un bolt mine.

And make sure you put the new pitman arm on with the same spline position or your steering wheel will be way off center.

·
Registered
582 Posts
cut off wheel works good too!! Good thing Advance Auto didn't make me pay for the tool I broke trying to get it off!! Good luck! Not that big of a deal though....except that it is supposed to torque to 250 ft lbs or so.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys ordered parts and will be in Tuesday so will let ya know how it went

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How did u guys torque the bolt on the pitman arm? Don't seem likè a socket will work

·
Registered
487 Posts
If I remember correctly I borrowed a big combination wrench from work and just tightened it as much as I could.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats what we ended up doing and tightened up the steering like it should be getting a alignment Thursday thanks for the help guys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts