GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spend all day cleaning, lapping valves, and changing valve seals on a set of 862s to swap out some old case tech 706s.

And boom after all that, some pits appear on one head. Anybody else ran into this and let it ride? Will be using GM MLS gaskets.

·
Super Moderator
5,600 Posts
Flex seal that shit and send it

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean it’s just old stock work truck, but the more I look at the more pits I see.

Did just find out I’ve been using a 862 bare head as my door stopper, so mine stop being a half ass.

·
Some dude on the internet
395 Posts
Back in the early 2000's we did several head gasket campaigns on Toyota truck V6's. I've seen more like this than I care to remember. I'd usually set up some 180 grit paper on a flat surface, and drag the heads across it a few times to get it all cleaned up, then slap the new MLS gaskets on and go. I never had a single come-back on those jobs. They were also iron block, aluminum heads with TTY fasteners.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back in the early 2000's we did several head gasket campaigns on Toyota truck V6's. I've seen more like this than I care to remember. I'd usually set up some 180 grit paper on a flat surface, and drag the heads across it a few times to get it all cleaned up, then slap the new MLS gaskets on and go. I never had a single come-back on those jobs. They were also iron block, aluminum heads with TTY fasteners.
Ehh a valve was bent, and all the valve were lapping odd, not to mention the gasket is melted on. Really no clue where this head came from, it was stuck in my pile of 20 other heads.

Ended up using the door stopper head instead. Too much odd things going on to run it.

Reactions: heysoos

·
Some dude on the internet
395 Posts
Ehh a valve was bent, and all the valve were lapping odd, not to mention the gasket is melted on. Really no clue where this head came from, it was stuck in my pile of 20 other heads.

Ended up using the door stopper head instead. Too much odd things going on to run it.
Ah. Not worth it then, I don’t blame you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts