GMC Truck Forum banner

Plastic piece on bed.

911 19
What does everyone do with this plastic piece that runs along the top of the bedrail and the tailgate cap? I think they are ugly and I want them gone. Ive looked underneath the bedrail piece and there are wholes all down the top of the bedrail so I cant just take it off. :pissed:
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Jason RIP
Joined
·
9,822 Posts
silverado_dude said:
What does everyone do with this plastic piece that runs along the top of the bedrail and the tailgate cap? I think they are ugly and I want them gone. Ive looked underneath the bedrail piece and there are wholes all down the top of the bedrail so I cant just take it off. :pissed:
I didn't know of any Chevy truck coming with bed rails from the factory .. got any pics?
 

· Jason RIP
Joined
·
9,822 Posts
silverado_dude said:
Sorry, I didnt mean to say it had bedrails or anything, but its that plastic piece along the top of where the bedrails would be that I wont off.
Still don't know what you are talking about .. the only thing your truck should have had from the factory is a tailgate cap.
 

· Jason RIP
Joined
·
9,822 Posts
Ok, I got ya now .. I went to your cardomain site .. you have a stepside :insane: I have no idea, sorry, fleetside guy .. I do know Mothers Back to Black will shine them right up though. If you want to get rid of them, chances are some bodywork is in order. Or you could always get an over the rail tonneau cover.

 

· Line-X of San Antonio
Joined
·
7,270 Posts
those do not come off. there is a bed seam under them. the sides of your bed are composite plastic, and the inside is metal. there is a NASTY ass seam under there. they do make some that are able to be smoothed and painted. or you can get a bedcover. if you take them off, you will regret it though.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Josh said:
those do not come off. there is a bed seam under them. the sides of your bed are composite plastic, and the inside is metal. there is a NASTY ass seam under there. they do make some that are able to be smoothed and painted. or you can get a bedcover. if you take them off, you will regret it though.

I've pulled them up and looked under them before and there is a NASTY ass seam there. That sux. I"m not sure if I'll ever mess with that piece on this truck. What about the tailgate cap, is it the same way?
 

· Burning Rubber
Joined
·
1,019 Posts
there were 4 holes underneath my Tailgate cap
 

· GMFS slowest truck :read:
Joined
·
7,772 Posts
There are the 4 holes, but i do think they make smooth lower profile covers that will still cover the holes so you don't have to get them filled in and smoothed...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
I just left mine on for now...I replaced the back one to make it flat, because I didnt like the tonno they had that went around that tailgate wing thing. So I got rid of the wing and put on a regular piece of plastic to make it flat on the back. I was thinking of painting...but its black on black...not going to hurt anything.
 

· patio furniture breaker
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
are there holes one the ones that are just stuck on? my truck has just the simple tailgate cap, looks like a palstic u channel with double sticky tape on it. is it covering up the holes, cause there are no screws holding it on.
 

· Line-X of San Antonio
Joined
·
7,270 Posts
Homer J said:
are there holes one the ones that are just stuck on? my truck has just the simple tailgate cap, looks like a palstic u channel with double sticky tape on it. is it covering up the holes, cause there are no screws holding it on.
yeah, you have holes under that cap... they just dont have threads in them for bolts...
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top