GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sanded my top dash down today, man that bodyman put alot of primer on it. and I just applied some plastic promoter (Bull Dog Spray) and after it dried it had cracked in a few places. Before appling I cleaned the dash with paint thinner, then with soap & water, and then I dried it off everytime I used a different towel. What can I do about the cracks, just sand it back down or apply filler primer around the cracks and wetsand it?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used it a bunch of times before and have never had this problem. Why shouldn't I spray over it?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Yes yes...That is what I meant, dont spray over the cracked area, because it will look like shit and be cracked... So I would sand the area and re-spray the promotor...

·
Registered
736 Posts
usually the cracking is from drying. maybe its to dry/warm were you store it, or the coat is too thick. make sure when you apply this nest one, do real light coat, let it dry in between for like 10-15 mins.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I didnt get that far... I was just going to paint over mine without sanding smooth so it would look stock but a diff color. Mine cracked so I just started sanding it smooth... LOL if it does it again I will be pissed

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
did you go heavy on the promoter? is ALL the texture gone? is the primer cracked a little under the promoter? and how humid is the air when you sprayed it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there isn't any primer on the plastic at all I have sanded it all down. There isn't any texture I can see, but there is probally a little there in a few places which is why I put a few coats of filler primer on after the promoter then wetsand them(but I haven't done that step yet) It was pretty normal outside, not too humid at all. And I applied just as specified and didn't put it on heavy at all. How much should I put on there anyway? After I'm done with the promoter should the entire thing be coated in the promoter or just misted with it?

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
That promotor stuff acts funny on some surfaces. On my lower dash i sanded it smooth, but it wrinkled up in a few places causing me to have to resand everything and do everything twice. I just misted the promotor on, just two lights coats before i went with the paint. The lower dash is the only time i've had problems with it, every other time it went on great and helped keep the paint from running and not wanting to stick.

·
MIA
1,157 Posts
way2hi said:
I sanded my top dash down today, man that bodyman put alot of primer on it. and I just applied some plastic promoter (Bull Dog Spray) and after it dried it had cracked in a few places. Before appling I cleaned the dash with paint thinner, then with soap & water, and then I dried it off everytime I used a different towel. What can I do about the cracks, just sand it back down or apply filler primer around the cracks and wetsand it?
I heard of people having problems with the Bull Dog as you said. I have never used it.

I wouldn't us paint thinner, then soap and water to clean the part before you spray it though. I would use a wax and grease remover "kind you get at paint supply stores" then spary it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts