GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Team White!
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am at a stop with the truck running I can turn the steering wheel about an inch or two either direction without moving the tires. What would cause this? I'm gonna shake the front end down tomorrow, just trying to avoid playing the "throw parts at it game"

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I think its just normal wear on parts for the bigger tires..do you have upgraded tie rods, idler arms, pitman arm?

·
Team White!
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just replaced the tie rods about 6000 miles ago, other than that i havent done anything.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I just had mine checked out today cause I'm experiancing the same problems. Through the process of elimination my mechanic and I came up with the steering box. My tie-rods, hubs, idler & pitman arm were all in great shape. He said he just replaced one about a week ago on another truck that was experiancing the same problems. So I'm going to give that a shot next week.

·
Team White!
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if it is the steering box, is it safe to drive on for awhile, or does it need immediate attention? what is worst case senario for a steering box going out?

·
Registered
328 Posts
He told me that I should take care of it as soon as possible. But its not like its going to crap out on me in the next 15 minutes. I'm going to take care of it next weekend just to be safe.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Just replaced the tie rods about 6000 miles ago, other than that i havent done anything.
Check your tie rods anyway. I replaced mine less than 5k ago and when I was replacin my broke CV axle I noticed a little play in the inner tie rod. Come to find the cotter pin has sheered off and let the castle nut loosen up, in turn, letting the tie rod beat the threads to hell and destroy themselves. But no worries, O'Reilly gave me another one for free.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
He told me that I should take care of it as soon as possible. But its not like its going to crap out on me in the next 15 minutes. I'm going to take care of it next weekend just to be safe.
ask your mechanic about the 'adjustment' on the steering box and see what he says about that, or maybe the nbs trucks dont have that, i dont know

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
ask your mechanic about the 'adjustment' on the steering box and see what he says about that, or maybe the nbs trucks dont have that, i dont know
They do. Z71on44s was talkin about "tighting" his up a month or so back.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
So if it is the steering box, is it safe to drive on for awhile, or does it need immediate attention? what is worst case senario for a steering box going out?
Your wheel would lock up and you wouldn't be able to steer, that would be fun on the freeway.

·
Registered
279 Posts
tighten your adjustment nut first.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Ever thought about tire flex? That happens with larger tires. Dont go replaing part without a proper diagnosis......

·
Registered
328 Posts
I was under the impression that the adjustment is a bad idea. It helps but it only buys you time.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
if it helps and buys time, what more could you ask for, a new one is basically doing the same thing if you really think about it imo

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
^^True dat..BUT...check the idler/pitman arms...if you haven't messed w/ them since you had the truck (I know you've owned it a while) I'd check those out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts