GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Silverado 2500 LTZ Z71 diesel. I got it lifted with a rough country 7.5 inch ntd lift. Got 37x13.50r20 tires on it.

I’ve been Offroad two times... guess how many times I’ve broken the driver side cv axle. That’s right two times.

I’ve talked to RC and they said i don’t need spacers for the cv axles. And they have no idea why it’s breaking.

Someone please help me! My wife is going to stab me in my sleep if i keep breaking this truck...

Its almost like the cv keeps pulling out of the cup thing at the top and as the axle spins it pushes the bearings off the posts.

·
Super Moderator
5,618 Posts
Crank the lift down. It’s an over stretched 5in lift. And it’s putting your cvs at too hard of an angle. At articulation it’s causing them to bind.

Or install a lift with a larger crossmember and transfer case drop

Unless rc changed their 7.5in kits.

Post a pic of your cv angles as it sits on the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here’s the passenger side. Also it’s not cranked up at all. It’s about 3/4 inch lower in the front than it is in the back.

82253BCF-30B1-4F14-8E33-378F22F8B279.jpeg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just measured from where the cv axle bolts to the diff to the knuckle. ‍♂ It’s an inch and a half to the passenger side. I wonder if this is the problem..... because it’s not like the shaft or cup is breaking. It’s like it’s pulling it out of the cup...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. No one makes an aftermarket cv that I’m aware of. In fact you can’t even buy them from auto parts stores. Dealer only. Also I’m wondering if the boot up top wouldn’t look near as bad if it wasn’t shoved into the cup so far due to the diff being pushed that way by just over an inch and a half.

·
Unofficial VP of GMFS
3,315 Posts
Iv seen worse but it is cranked add that to yee-yee in it and you got broke cv axel. Three options here one decrank run 35s and lower back down stop wheeling truck , two leave it cranked up lower back down suffer harsh ride and stop off-roading your truck , three straight axel truck then commence to off-roading your truck

·
n. fil-dert.
6,846 Posts
I've seen way worse angles on a daily without axle issues - me thinks driving style is a pretty big factor here. But Ferrari-olio is right, more diff drop would go a long ways to solving that problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
. Here is one of the fixes. A member on the other Silverado forum installed them on his hd for similar reasons.

https://www.rcvperformance.com/ultimate-ifs-cv-axle-set-for-gm-2500-3500-12-up-8-bolt-flange.html

. Here is one of the fixes. A member on the other Silverado forum installed them on his hd for similar reasons.

https://www.rcvperformance.com/ultimate-ifs-cv-axle-set-for-gm-2500-3500-12-up-8-bolt-flange.html

HOLY SHIT!

2500 bucks for cv axles though? Haha

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've seen way worse angles on a daily without axle issues - me thinks driving style is a pretty big factor here. But Ferrari-olio is right, more diff drop would go a long ways to solving that problem.
Dude i was going maybe two mph up a tiny ass hill. Barely on the gas. Also i just talked to my shop that installed the lift. Sent him pictures. The diff shifted to the passenger side by 1.5 inches. He’s going to repair both of my broken axles for free and going to get the diff centered and hopefully that’s going to help out a lot.

·
Super Moderator
5,618 Posts
Yeah it’s the off-roading that’s hard. If it were just a pavement queen you wouldn’t have issues. Those angles are better than their 3.5in no cut kits they sell.

But yeah gotta pay to play!

I don’t think the other forum guy ever broke one of those heavy duty ones, he also does mud drags and fast off-roading with his

And if the diff shifted that far it would have had to bend the drop bracket mounts. One would think.

Take pics of your left and right mounts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Iv seen worse but it is cranked add that to yee-yee in it and you got broke cv axel. Three options here one decrank run 35s and lower back down stop wheeling truck , two leave it cranked up lower back down suffer harsh ride and stop off-roading your truck , three straight axel truck then commence to off-roading your truck
I don’t like your options bro. Stop wheeling? No way. There’s a deeper issue here. There’s absolutely no reason this brand new cv axle should break going 2 mph and barely on the gas.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah it’s the off-roading that’s hard. If it were just a pavement queen you wouldn’t have issues. Those angles are better than their 3.5in no cut kits they sell.

But yeah gotta pay to play!

I don’t think the other forum guy ever broke one of those heavy duty ones, he also does mud drags and fast off-roading with his

And if the diff shifted that far it would have had to bend the drop bracket mounts. One would think.

Take pics of your left and right mounts

Yea the bracket is bent. There’s 3 bolts that hold the driver side. The middle one is gone. And the rear one and front one are bent. My mechanic said he is going to take care of it. But we shall see. Also said he would rebuild both of my broken axles for free. Let me get the pics for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also. Does anyone have a link for cv axle spacers for a 2016 Silverado 2500hd? Looking for like 1 inch spacers.

·
Super Moderator
5,618 Posts
When people ask why I harp on rc lifts. THATS WHY why the hell would you design a diff drop bracket for a heavy duty truck and not have it fully boxed in? You might have been going slow. But all the torque going to your wheels did that.

I’m sure you can get a local shop to fab up something more heavy duty for you based off the old ones.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When people ask why I harp on rc lifts. THATS WHY why the hell would you design a diff drop bracket for a heavy duty truck and not have it fully boxed in? You might have been going slow. But all the torque going to your wheels did that.

The way i picture it is it happened when the cv shaft came out and probably was pushed out of the cup. Otherwise there shouldn’t be much side to side pressure on that diff.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts