GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of installing my new Motive 4.30 R&P. I used the same thickness pinion shim as was on the factory pinion. I bought a pinion depth checking tool from Ratech, but's kind of difficult to get a good reading.

I installed the new Detroit TrueTrac using the factory shims. Amazingly, I've got good bearing preload with a backlash of .007". Here's the resulting pattern. I marked three teeth in two different locations. Take a look and let me know how it looks to those of you that have some experience with this. This is the second truck I've setup. But the other one was quite a few years ago. I've got the ability, but not the experience. Once again, please take a look and let me know ASAP. I'm waiting on your response to button this thing up:D Thanks.

1st drive pattern

1st coast pattern

2nd drive pattern

2nd coast pattern

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I buttoned it up and took it for a spin. No whine at all! I'm very happy. Here's a look at my Detroit TrueTrac.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
it looks pretty good, but it looks like the pinion may be a hair shallow. nice, even football looking pattern, but it looks too far from the root.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Get a chance to take it for a spin yet?

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
should be good to go... run it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got >100 miles on them now. I don't hear a bit of whine from them. Of course I cant "try them out" either. 400 more miles until I can do that:( At 500 miles I'll switch to synthetic lube and install a TA Performance girdle.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts